Notices

MYO3 overheating/no hot air, coolant question.

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2008, 11:56 AM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MYO3 overheating/no hot air, coolant question.

Guys,

car is an MY03 STi, only done 34k always serviced on time etc.

I have noticed over the last week that the heater has not been very good at blowing hot air even when the car is at normal operating temps.

On the journey home last night it did not blow hot air at all.

On the way into work this morning again not hot air and when in traffic the temp quickly climbed to about 3/4 on the scale. It never goes past halfway even in summer.

Just before i got to work it blew hot air for a few moments then back to cold.

Popped the bonnet and the coolant tank at the front near headlight is almost empty, literally only has just over an inch of coolant in.

Is this normal and the rest of the coolant will be in the system and thus this is just an expansion bottle or should the level be higher?

Left the car for 3 hours so that its stone cold and looked again, coolant still the same level.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 25 November 2008, 11:57 AM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Also no visible sign of split, bulging hoses or coolant leaks.
Old 25 November 2008, 12:09 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Either an airlock or the headgasket is on its way.

Banny
Old 25 November 2008, 12:14 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Do headgaskets fail on low mileage newage cars then? Ive never seen any posts pertaining to this. plenty with 10 year+ old classics.

Id be very disappointed if the headgaskets gone taking into account the low mileage, the main dealer service record and the fact its never been abused.
Old 25 November 2008, 04:12 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Agree with Banny here... You have either got an air lock (which unless you have just had some work done on the cooling system or changed the coolant, is very unlikely) or you probably have a failed head gasket.

I agree that it would be unusual for a car of that mileage, but things do go wrong unfortunately & keeping the car serviced would have no bearing on this type fault.

I would suggest checking the levels & checking for leaks folowed by bleeding the cooling system, and if this doesn't cure the fault, I would have a sniffer test carried out on the cooling system.

Best of luck
Phil
Old 25 November 2008, 04:31 PM
darren34x
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Barretts Motorsport
Agree with Banny here... You have either got an air lock (which unless you have just had some work done on the cooling system or changed the coolant, is very unlikely) or you probably have a failed head gasket.

I agree that it would be unusual for a car of that mileage, but things do go wrong unfortunately & keeping the car serviced would have no bearing on this type fault.

I would suggest checking the levels & checking for leaks folowed by bleeding the cooling system, and if this doesn't cure the fault, I would have a sniffer test carried out on the cooling system.

Best of luck
Phil
agree with the above but i read a post on this site the other day similar problems turned out to be a water pipe under the turbo rubbing on something
and cracking was a metal pipe might be worth having a look hope you sort it mate good luck