New member with first scooby looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2008, 10:19 AM
hartlepool_jono
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with first scooby looking for advice

Hi to all members.
Have just found and joined this site after recently getting my first scooby.
Its a 2001 bugeye WRX (which my wife hates, lol)
It has heyward and scott exhaust though i think cats still in place, typhoon induction kit and dump valve.
Im lookin to up the power a bit, but am clueless when it comes to engine mods.
Was thinkin of first doing away with cats and a ecu map or upgrade, so my question is can i do thi safely without effecting reliability or causing problems or will i need to upgrade other things to cope with extra power, not looking for huge increases but a bit more pull would be nice.
Also what extra hp can i expect with this or should i aim for safely.
Also please tell me if im going in the wrong direction, as i said im totally clueless
so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 18 November 2008, 12:13 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

A decent decat downpipe and a remap (circa £750) from a reputable tuner (like, but not restricted to, Bob Rawle, Andy F aor Simon aka 'JGM') will get you to over 260bhp, after that you need to start looking at supporting mods, with an underbonet filter you need to look at getting a cold air supply and some shielding to stop it loosing to much power over stock.

Simon
Old 18 November 2008, 04:22 PM
hartlepool_jono
Scooby Regular

when you say down pipe do you mean straight from manifold, also does that do away with cat(s) any other suggestions??
Old 18 November 2008, 07:06 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No. See here for the OEM exhaust system...

The free end of the downpipe in the pic bolts directly to the back of the turbo (not shown). The bottom of the turbo bolts to the top of a short vertical(ish) pipe called the 'up pipe' (not shown). The bottom end of the up pipe bolts to the manifolds' collecting area on the driver's side, and towards the back i.e. nearest to the bulkhead, end of the engine (not shown).

Obviously the 'cat pipe' (see pic) has a cat in it and so does the 'downpipe' (its vertical cylindrical bit in the pic). I think you also have one in the afore-mentioned up pipe too. So 3 in total.

Last edited by joz8968; 18 November 2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 18 November 2008, 09:01 PM
hartlepool_jono
Scooby Regular

ok that clears it up a bit, so if i replace up pipe and down pipe, will there be any benifit in that if i leave cat in centre section or would i better off doing away with all or certain ones? currently watching one on ebay, think it down pipe and centre section?
Old 18 November 2008, 09:31 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

The one in the downpipe is the most restrictive I believe, and you may as well remove the catpipe one at the same time (I think you can get downpipes which replace both.

The next step would be to replace the one in the uppipe. There's not much point leaving the one in the catpipe, it won't get you through an MOT on it's own.

A remap will be required.

Removing all of these will cause emmissions problems come MOT time, an option is to replace the downpipe cat with a sports cat instead.

If you are going to do this and get it remapped, get it done by one of the guys recommended on here, and speak to them first about what they recommend.
Old 19 November 2008, 08:23 AM
hartlepool_jono
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the sound advice escott, can anyone recommednd anywhere in the north east as you can see by my user name im from hartlepool