Notices

DAWES on an STiV

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2002, 08:51 PM
FOZ STiV5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Just wondered if anyone has fitted a Dawes to a STiV. If so any good or BAD results???

I am suffering veru high boost 18psi ..... with a standard DP and SU induction. Not sure about the ECU ...maybe not standard. ECU reset made no difference.

Any ideas???
Old 14 February 2002, 06:50 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Check all the hosing to/from the boost control solenoid, wastegate, etc. Could be that one of the hoses is split.....or someone's fitted a bleed valve.....

One test is to remove the electrical connection to the solenoid and *carefully* drive the car - you *should* see around .7bar if everything is standard (pressure of wastegate spring). Any more then you've got a leak - either intentional or not

*** Just thought, with it being an STi, maybe you've got a 3 port solenoid on your car - I don't know the difference with what goes where...the above may not be true for STi's - can anyone confirm/deny? Maybe better to check with BRD/Scoobysport/etc. if you're not sure ***

Edited to add: be careful, stock your car is mapped for 100ron fuel - high boost levels *will* lead to detonation. It's for this reason no-one recommends fitting a Dawes to imports. But look on the bright side - maybe someone kindly fitted a fully remapped aftermarket ecu for you

Richard

[Edited by dowser - 2/14/2002 6:54:36 AM]
Old 15 February 2002, 12:00 AM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

downpipe is the reason the boost is high - not an issue provided that you make sure fuelling is correct - danger is running lean at high rpm - don't be tempted to try any high speed runs.
Dawes is a cheap manual boost controller - the sti 5 ecu doesn't cut the boost like uk spec cars so I can't think of any reason to fit the Dawes - as you have already said maintaining high + consistent boost on an sti 5 is not exactly a problem!

I ran mine for two years with boost peaking at 20 psi and holding 17 psi. As long as you use super unleaded ( I also fitted broquet catalysts which seem to allow better ignition advance) then you should have no problems.
If in doubt, a session with a select monitor (or techtom) plugged in will confirm how it is running.

fwiw changing induction kit often leads to demise of AFM and O2 sensor thereafter - can be a bit costly.

No real need to go for alternative ECU unless you are embarking on a quest for big power etc.

Changing oil every 3000 miles will also help you stay out of trouble!

Paul W

Old 15 February 2002, 12:10 AM
FOZ STiV5
Scooby Regular

Thanks Paul, for the advice.

I am also considering changing my Blitz SUS back to the panel filter...... because of lots of sound adivice stating some shocking problems linked with the MAF.

Was your ecu standard because 20psi is way up??

My downpipe has no cat in but yesterday when I switched back to the cat I still saw the same peak boost 18psi ...then it drop back to 14 then back up and so on......

I will get it checked on a select monitor next week.

By the way your local

I live in Chester

Keep in touch

My email jfoster@clara.co.uk
Old 15 February 2002, 12:47 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Hi Foz. :My STi Ver 6 runs 16-14psi but spikes up to 21psi. Similar mods to yours.With re-mapped ECUs cars like mine run 20psi so providing your boost guage is accurate I would not worry but I think you should determine what prior mods have been done ......... if any.