Notices

JDM SWEEP CLOCKS IN MY01 BUG, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2008, 10:26 AM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM SWEEP CLOCKS IN MY01 BUG, HELP!!

Purchased some lovely JDM STi clocks (The sweeping ones ) for my 01 JDM STi. I read a post about modifying the plug on the cars loom to fit the socket and the removal of the yellow wire to stop the buzzing noise on initial turn on which i did. Everything works ok apart from the ABS and handbrake lights which dont extinguish?

Anyone had a similar problem when fitting JDM sweeping clocks to an 01 Bug Sti? Can these clocks be made to work ?

Thanks

Last edited by KK3960; 19 October 2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 19 October 2008, 01:12 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I did the exact samething last night

The clocks I purchased were from a 04 sti and were fitted to my 01 sti, they plugged straight in, only thing that needs modding is the rear diff temp light is on, other than that it is plug and play.

However after reading up on the conversion on the nasioc the 05 sti dash has a few more issues. Here is a link to said thread:

The FIX! 05 STi clusters into 02-03s (possibly 04s) - NASIOC

Banny
Old 19 October 2008, 10:41 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Think mine were off an 05+ didnt realise 04's were less hassle is your handbrake light working on/off Banny? Anyway now sorted, spoke to a few more people who have done this conversion. I removed the dial covers and very very carefully lifted the thin black plastic liner which the dials are printed on and inserted small cut peices of good quality (thick) black insulation tape on the reverse side of the cluster over the handbrake, abs and Rear diff temp light text and again on the LED's backlighting this text. Saves messing around with any further wiring mods after cutting the initial yellow wire on the far right hand side plug, incidentally the outside temp sensor seems to be working fine so i dont know what those Yanks are on about with that crazy wiring mod . I also taped over the DCCD light as my early bug does not have this. Result !! Now the king of the swingers !! Good luck Banny with yours, need any more info give me a shout!!

Last edited by KK3960; 19 October 2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 19 October 2008, 11:01 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good job mate, how did you sort the mileage part out though???

wiley
Old 23 October 2008, 10:17 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Wiley not sure which mileage bit you mean? I blanked off the "K" part of the speedo on the reverse of the dial with tape on the end of a long thin screwdriver so it just reads MH, and carefully used a thin black CD marker on the front part of the "K" character of the dial to blank out any unwanted light, looks ok and you wouldnt know its been done unless you knew it was there. Will get some photos up soon. Also My car is a JDM and was fitted with a KM / MPH converter when SVA'd if thats what you mean?? If you mean correcting the mileage back to my previous cluster ill speak to one of those dash doctor chaps eventually!

To recap. for all those attempting this, the above link to NASIOC is very confusing, only one wire needs to be cut (yellow and green) on the far right hand side plug connector, then tape both ends of the wire up! Then remove one locating ridge off the far left hand side plug to enable the connector to fit the cluster (I used a stanley knife) once you have plugged all the connectors in try the clocks they should swoop on ignition and the ABS, Handbrake etc lights should be on! See the first part of the post above on how to blank these off! Take your time removing the black dial fascia and dont lift it up too high off its surface or you will damage the cluster face and its game over, also be very careful not to move any of the needles on the cluster as this will cause the dials to go out of sync and show incorrect indications / levels when driving.

Sounds harder than it actually is but well worth the end results if you take your time

Last edited by KK3960; 23 October 2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 24 October 2008, 07:06 PM
JGT
Scooby Regular

Hi,
Ive an 06 JDM STI with these dials but they dont swoop, will the dials swoop if the one wire (yellow and green) cut and taped?
Old 26 October 2008, 06:16 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Hi dials should swoop before and after the yellow and green wire has been cut, this wire only silences the buzzer so should make no difference, sounds like your clocks could be faulty

Trending Topics

Old 27 October 2008, 02:41 PM
JGT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that information, they dont swoop and never have done, have to see about getting a new set of clocks then
Old 28 October 2008, 11:13 AM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

I've had 06 ones in my bugeye for 2yrs without any issues, IIRC i read that the swoosh effect doesnt work on cars they have been fitted too, ie mine/yours and IIRC David Hendry cars have the software to make this swoosh effect happen like the defis.

HTHs

S!
Old 28 October 2008, 03:09 PM
JGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stalked!
I've had 06 ones in my bugeye for 2yrs without any issues, IIRC i read that the swoosh effect doesnt work on cars they have been fitted too, ie mine/yours and IIRC David Hendry cars have the software to make this swoosh effect happen like the defis.

HTHs

S!
Ah okay, will see about this when I go for a remap!

Thanks for that
JGT
Old 16 December 2008, 08:15 PM
akcwong
Scooby Newbie

What is that yellow/green wire does originally anyway?