another turbo queation

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2008, 03:35 AM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another turbo queation

ok people i have a 95 wrx turbo import jdm.it has had a few mods include,
fmic,uprated pump,simtek ecu, vf35 turbo cat back 5" hks exhaust anyway i have started to notice latley that when i put my foot down hard i get a puff of smoke coming out of the exhaust.mostly when i pull away from light ect. but it is slowly getting worse now im thinkin that it could be the turbo playing up but thought i would ask you guys as im sure you are more clued up on scoobies than i am.its more a puff of smoke rather than constant it does not smoke when its sat ideling. of when i start it up.no funny rattles or weird noises.
i have not taken the turbo of yet to have a look. it does seem that after the first puff it sort of clears its self. any ideas people would be much apriciated regards.
Old 13 October 2008, 05:52 PM
millitant_sti
Scooby Regular

is it missfiring at all???? and does it only happen when booting it?
Old 14 October 2008, 01:39 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the smoke black, or bluey-white?

If it's bluey-white, then after a run, park up, leave to idle for about 5 mins, then get someone to rev it while you observe... If bluey-white smoke comes out, chances are it could be your turbo on the way out (thrust bearing starting to fail).

Last edited by joz8968; 14 October 2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 14 October 2008, 07:35 AM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

yeah i have noticed that every now and then it will misfire when i put my foot down its only done it around 3 times. the smoke that i get a puff of is 99% bluey-white but last night when it done it looked more black but could be down to it being dark out not to sure. i have also noticed that if the car been running slowly then after a while you can see the dust ecy building up in the exhaust system so thought that might not help when i boot it as it will throw it all out but want to get to the bottom of it.
Old 14 October 2008, 10:56 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Try that test I mentioned above - idle for 5 mins after a run, then rev it.

Bottom line, if there's bluey-white smoke, then it's generally not good: normally turbo bearing failing... or possibly piston rings... or valve guides.

You're definitely not getting confused with condensation steam being burnt off from cold?

Note: If it's black smoke being puffed out on changing gear whilst accelerating, then that's normal(ish,lol) (as the ECU will have been mapped to go rich on WOT).
Old 14 October 2008, 09:00 PM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

ok well i know that the car when mapped was set to run rich.
i will be giving the car a full service this weekend and ill see how it goes.
like i said its not bad at all but i get a little paranoid as i dont want it to be trashed. i dont really rag it i poodle around most of the time but there is always a time when i put my foot down and usally thats when i get a puff of smoke.but cheers for the help people ill see how it goes failing that ill send the turbo of for a rebuild...