Notices

fmic

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2008, 02:51 PM
lomas the great
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fmic

thinking of getting a fmic and was just wondering were the best place to get one was and what make. ive seen some on ebay for £200 but dont no if there any good, can any one help.
Old 12 October 2008, 03:08 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Hybrid FMICs are of excellent quality and are used by many ScoobyNet members and some very powerful builds.

Hybrid FMIC Kits - Subaru Impreza - best prices
Old 12 October 2008, 08:09 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Yep, the Hybrid is the best for under £300. DONT be tempted by the rubbish ebay jobbies,it's really not worth it. Bob'5 offers them at a good price,not delt with him myself,but seems like an honest guy. Also, Harvey supplies them too,again very nice guy.
Old 13 October 2008, 05:35 PM
dawleyboy
Scooby Regular

i have put an autobahn88 on my 95 classic and to be fair its spot on cost me £315.00 delivered off ebay
Old 13 October 2008, 09:57 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dawleyboy
i have put an autobahn88 on my 95 classic and to be fair its spot on cost me £315.00 delivered off ebay
I have just got one of these today was it hard to fit?
Old 13 October 2008, 10:27 PM
dawleyboy
Scooby Regular

QUOTE=Ciaran;8195838]I have just got one of these today was it hard to fit?[/QUOTE]
it was quite easy to fit mate did you get a full set of instructions with it,it took me about 7 hours to fit from start to finish,some hacking is required to the black slam panel behind the bumper for you to run the pipes to your core sweetly and you have to cut more off your bumper than you might expect and i was unable to put my spots back in cause of where the intercooler pipes run,just a couple of pointers for you make sure all your clamps are tight as i had one although it was tightened up as much as possible it was twisting on the silicone hose causing it to leak and make a loud whistling noise and where you have the single fixing on top of the core you will need a spacer somewhere in the region of 60mm or the core will slant back at the top,also are you planning to run a dump valve with your intercooler cause if you are you will need to buy a silicone t piece 50mm in diameter with a 25mm spout for your dump valve these can be found on ebay for £25.00 hope all of this is a help to you have fun mate
Old 15 October 2008, 12:22 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mit
Yep, the Hybrid is the best for under £300. DONT be tempted by the rubbish ebay jobbies,it's really not worth it. Bob'5 offers them at a good price,not delt with him myself,but seems like an honest guy. Also, Harvey supplies them too,again very nice guy.
Why anyone would want to buy the autobahn intercooler when both Bob and Harvey are offering good deals on a far superior product, as mit has pointed out, is beyond me
Old 15 October 2008, 12:24 AM
mit
Scooby Regular

Im glad you said that,pay more,get less! Sounds like British Gas!
Old 15 October 2008, 11:26 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arch
Why anyone would want to buy the autobahn intercooler when both Bob and Harvey are offering good deals on a far superior product, as mit has pointed out, is beyond me
Agreed - Autobahn 88 = CR*P Very restrictive, poor flow, poor quality, not always a full kit, shall I go on?

Hybrid every time, it's what we keep, use and sell, good prices - over the counter and fitted.

David APi

Agents for:
Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Scoobysportexhausts
Eibach suspension
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com

01926 614333
Old 15 October 2008, 11:37 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Said it before and say it again...

If you're going to get a fmic, the Hybrid kit is the no-brainer. Even with spiralling costs due to raw materials, importing and £ declining, the Hybrid is still the best.

Harvey is a star to deal with and can't recommend enough.

Haven't brought anything from BOB'5 but always seems ready to help and have only ever seen positive comments. Would not hesitate to use.
Old 15 October 2008, 06:18 PM
dawleyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Agreed - Autobahn 88 = CR*P Very restrictive, poor flow, poor quality, not always a full kit, shall I go on?

Hybrid every time, it's what we keep, use and sell, good prices - over the counter and fitted.

David APi

Agents for:
Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Scoobysportexhausts
Eibach suspension
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com

01926 614333

sorry if you do not agree with my purchase lads but i could only find a hybrid ones for my97 onwards and i needed a intercooler for 92 -96 but as for you not getting a full kit and it being of poor quality i have to disagree as i think is realy well manufactured,it came with full exact instructions,each piece of pipe came wrapped in bubble wrap and its own sealed bag and was a perfect fit for my my95 and improved my car no end,not looking to start an argument with any of you though just thought i would explain as to why i bought an autobahn 88,may-be i should have asked on here first before i went ahead and purchased one but just did not think sorry
Old 15 October 2008, 08:01 PM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

im thinking about fitting the hybrid fmic comes very recommended on here but like said above its for the my97 onwards is there alot of modifications need to fit the my95 very early classics? sorry to hijack the thread thanks
Old 15 October 2008, 08:26 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Some tweaks are needed on some early models for a good fit. Straightforward enough.

Hybrid FMIC Kits - Subaru Impreza - best prices
Old 15 October 2008, 08:41 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

I had an Autobahn, which was damn good value for the just over £200 it cost me back then. It worked although some of the welding was sketchy.

I now have a Hybrid that I got off Harvey, it's about to go on, and tbh the quality is like night and day compared to the old Autobahn. The core is much better, the pipes are much better constructed. It was still well under £300 and must be about the only 'no brainer' in the world of Subaru modding.
Old 15 October 2008, 08:44 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

I had to cut the top pipe that runs to the throttle body,and insert a length of silicone pipe to lengthen it,apart from that,no problems. The early cars throttle body is a bit further back,hence the need to extend.
Old 15 October 2008, 08:46 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
I had an Autobahn, which was damn good value for the just over £200 it cost me back then. It worked although some of the welding was sketchy.

I now have a Hybrid that I got off Harvey, it's about to go on, and tbh the quality is like night and day compared to the old Autobahn. The core is much better, the pipes are much better constructed. It was still well under £300 and must be about the only 'no brainer' in the world of Subaru modding.
I think thats the biggest issue,the core.Hybrids are much better.Im not sure what difference it makes in real life mind.
Old 15 October 2008, 09:35 PM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

do they require cutting of the wing to get the pipe through or do they use a excisting hole? otherwise sounds pretty straight forward & very worthwhile
Old 15 October 2008, 10:14 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the hole the air box goes into in the wing needs to be made bigger.You'll need to remove the air resonator in the wing to.
Old 16 October 2008, 12:02 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dawleyboy
sorry if you do not agree with my purchase lads but i could only find a hybrid ones for my97 onwards and i needed a intercooler for 92 -96 but as for you not getting a full kit and it being of poor quality i have to disagree as i think is realy well manufactured,it came with full exact instructions,each piece of pipe came wrapped in bubble wrap and its own sealed bag and was a perfect fit for my my95 and improved my car no end,not looking to start an argument with any of you though just thought i would explain as to why i bought an autobahn 88,may-be i should have asked on here first before i went ahead and purchased one but just did not think sorry

I have also just bought an Autobahn 88. To me is looks superbly made and was super value at 200 quid. It is bound to be better than a standard Uk topmount is it not? if worst comes to worst i can just change the actual element? The only thing i have noticed is that the pipework changes in diameter.
Old 16 October 2008, 09:10 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Yes it will be better at actual charge cooling than the TMIC, without a doubt. My doubts were over the flow rate through mine, hence the change to a Hybrid which even with it still in the box, looks like it will work loads better.