Notices

Got Stitched!! - No heater help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2008, 09:06 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Stitched!! - No heater help needed!

alright got my car the other day, and they failed to mention that it looks like the heater is removed!

theres a pipe coming out of the engine, double backed on itself and going back into the engine. there are two solid tubes in the blukhead not connected to anything.

now i really need a heater in this weather, how can i got about fixing this problem?

would it be the heater matrix that was duff, so they did that instead? top of passenger carpet, looks like its had some leaked all over it in its time.

if i get a new heater matrix, how would i go about replacing it. the fans still work ok. and how is it plumbed?

also where is the matrix? behind the dash like vauxhalls? and how much of the dash has to come off and how?

a lot of questions i know, buty need to get it sorted asap, as its well dangerous, and cant afford to get anyone to do it at the mo

Thanks

David
Old 09 October 2008, 09:10 AM
p1junkie
Scooby Regular

assume u purchased from a dealer..take it back as not fit for purpose under sale of goods act not fit for purpose they should have disclosed these facts before selling..does sound like heater matrix leaked and to do away with the expense they bodged it
Old 09 October 2008, 09:13 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

didnt get it from a dealer unfortunately, or i would definately do that. and yea reckon its is a bodged fix.

forgot to mention the car is a 95 wrx import saloon if that makes a difference.

although think this is a lesson learnt to be real careful who you get it from. and dealer may be more expensive, but theres a reason for that...
Old 09 October 2008, 09:38 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heater matrix change is not a quick job..

some pictures

Heater Matrix :: Fotopic.Net

Simon
Old 09 October 2008, 10:23 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

yea will have basically most a weekend to do it in,

cant see pics from work, but will have a look when i get home. cheers
Old 09 October 2008, 10:36 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy a new matrix and I guess the missing pipe as they will have removed one under the bonnet and looped the other back.

the offical way is to remove the dashboard and then the heater box, replace the matrix in it and then refit etc..

if the dash is getting a bit tired you might want to consider replacing it with one from a breakers whilst you have it out. . I did this on a car previously.. my current car I had the dash flocked.

or... you can bend the matrix pipes to get the old one out and cut the pipes on the new one and then use rubber joining pipes and jubilees and do the job just by removing the middle section of the blower chamber..

either way it is a bitch and the cheating (if you like) way to do it will be very difficult to understand if you have never had the dash out before
Old 09 October 2008, 10:52 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

yea up for the 'cheating' way sounds difficult but good had the stereo and bits out when i was fitting 3 lamco gauges into the dashm, but not the whole center console

wil have a look at how the center comes out, and its not connected to the rest of the dash. does the rest of the dash need to be loosened before you can remove the center - to access screws etc

but if its just a case of those two solids pipes going through the bulkhead connecting to the matrix, then i like what your saying ill try and cut / break them and fit some flexible pipes with jubilees onto the new matrix, -if im understanding correctly
Old 09 October 2008, 10:53 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Does look a job and half, good luck fella
Old 09 October 2008, 11:50 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

yea cheers matey,

theres this on ebay

Subaru Impreza WRX / STi / UK HEATER MATRIX AND FAN on eBay, also, Subaru, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 15-Oct-08 16:44:12 BST)

gona get it i think

then just need to get hold of a pipe to connect engine to bulkhead, and one or two pieces of pipes to connect new matrix, to my broken tubes so to speak
Old 09 October 2008, 11:54 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

also..

is this a pic of the matrix bit.

SUBARU HEATER MATRIX AND CONTROLS FOR A 98 MODEL on eBay, also, Subaru, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 16-Oct-08 11:53:04 BST)

guessing it slotted up into the dash from underneath, and is that the bottom of it you can just see with the two pipes gonig into it.

and the two end bits on this pic, are the two pipes which fit through the bulkhead.

only this is a 98 impreza, is it any different to a 95?
Old 09 October 2008, 02:31 PM
p1junkie
Scooby Regular

**** me no wonder they didnt want to replace it that looks a pig to do
Old 09 October 2008, 06:07 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Style
yea cheers matey,

theres this on ebay

Subaru Impreza WRX / STi / UK HEATER MATRIX AND FAN on eBay, also, Subaru, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 15-Oct-08 16:44:12 BST)

gona get it i think

then just need to get hold of a pipe to connect engine to bulkhead, and one or two pieces of pipes to connect new matrix, to my broken tubes so to speak
The part on the left is the aircon unit.
The part on the right is the blower motor unit.
I cannot see the heater matrix unit at all there. So I would not bother with that purchase.

Ticky
Old 09 October 2008, 06:14 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

also..

is this a pic of the matrix bit.

SUBARU HEATER MATRIX AND CONTROLS FOR A 98 MODEL on eBay, also, Subaru, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 16-Oct-08 11:53:04 BST)

guessing it slotted up into the dash from underneath, and is that the bottom of it you can just see with the two pipes gonig into it.

and the two end bits on this pic, are the two pipes which fit through the bulkhead.

only this is a 98 impreza, is it any different to a 95?
This is the heater matrix unit. Going by the heater control it is one of the later units. The only difference is the pins out on the servo motors which control the flaps. As long as you have the orignal faulty unit behind you dash then you could swap the 2 servos. But the price for this hm unit is a little high for my liking.
Trade grade a subaru breakers or hdc for the correct model year.
Allow yourself a dry weekend to tackle the dash removal unless you have a large garage.
Its not that difficult to do and only requires some basic tools.
There are some good tip threads on how to remove the dash.

Ticky
Old 09 October 2008, 10:21 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

yea cheers, luckily havnt bought it yet, cool.

will try and source the right second hand one from a breakers.

are different year impreza dash's any different? could consider putting a later year one back in, if its a straight swap.

and ill have a search for those threads, apprecite the info r.e that link glad i didnt get it now
Old 09 October 2008, 10:41 PM
Style
Scooby Regular

does this look like it would fit a 95 wrx

Heater Matrix Subaru Impreza WRX Turbo Demisterman
Old 09 October 2008, 11:16 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

does this look like it would fit a 95 wrx

Heater Matrix Subaru Impreza WRX Turbo Demisterman
That looks like it, at least doing it this way you will have a new core which should last. Might take a little long to fit but then winter is coming so I would not hang around. Let us know how much it is?

Later phase dash requires some work to fit but you will get the idea of how much when you change the core over.
Old 10 October 2008, 11:56 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

heres what he said.

think ill try and get from a breakers..

" Hi David
Thank you for your enquiry. I do have one of these in stock. This heater has solid brass pipes, brass tanks and a copper/brass core as opposed to the weaker original aluminium version. It is new to the aftermarket and as the listing says it does not have the full and accurate model list which means that you may have to compare it to your unit for positive identification. The promotional price is £69 + £9 carriage(paid by card by email through the secure paypal system where you dont need to be registered with them) and i would be grateful for some feedback on the exact vehicle. This will help me to build my database and is the reason for the low price. If it is not the correct one i could make you one using your heater as a pattern for less than £90 in a matter of days. "