Which intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2008, 11:26 AM
94WagonDriver
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which intercooler?

Hello Guys and Girls!

I'm a virgin poster on the forum having just helped to rescue a '94 UK Turbo Wagon (imaginitive user-name eh?!).
I need some advice about choosing a replacement top-mount intercooler for the car as the one in it is the original that has been spoilt by somebody doing a bad job of swagging some mesh onto the top.

Are there any better intercoolers from slightly later models that can be used as a direct replacement for the original?

What would you wise people out there do in my position?

Unfortunately I have (very) limited mechanical knowledge but a friend of mine is a fully qualified mechanic and he's agreed to help if he has the time.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.....
Old 02 October 2008, 12:46 PM
bulletproofbob
Scooby Regular

there was a post by greenyswagon about this, fitting later model coolers with only a minor cut and weld to fit!!! its alloy welding though, i'm sure you have some boat shop capable over there on the cheap!!!!

can't give detail myself but its just blanking the BOV hole in the cooler as you don't use it on yours...
Old 02 October 2008, 01:10 PM
millitant_sti
Scooby Regular

an sti intercooler would pop right on but the mounts were you put the screws in will be different only 1 will fit will still be a stong hold. and whilst the 1 screw is in you could still drive about but if i was you id try to weld on a few more mounts
Old 03 October 2008, 11:40 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're gonna fit a later version one, then in order of preference: STi v.7.. STi v.3/4... STi v.5/6.

See IC test here...

Browser Warning... Part 1

Browser Warning... Part 2

However, if you want a no hassle swapover, then fit the v.2 silver STi IC (same pattern, brackets, etc.).

It's core is all but the same size as the black UK/GT/WRX v.1/2, but it has a slightly bigger rear end tank and, moreover, a soild metal smooth inlet pipe with a silicone hose to connect to the turbo's outlet nozzle. The pipe/hose combo increases airflow by 50% over the WRX's horrible restrictive corrugated black plastic item... plus it won't split!

I did this to my 1993 WRX and had it mapped... BUT... it just so happens that I'll soon be replacing it for a bar and plate, bigger core, ARC TMIC, so my existing STi v.2 (with its metal pipe/silicone hose) will be up for sale soon, if you're interested?

Last edited by joz8968; 03 October 2008 at 11:50 AM.