Notices

FAO those who really know their subarus! (imports)

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2008, 10:55 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO those who really know their subarus! (imports)

ok my brother is on the look for a subaru and i have a friend whos got one a jap import sti version 6 that he has had for a year but hasnt touched, its been garaged as he realised he couldnt get insured on it, so kept it thinking he would laterm, but his situation has changed , hes gone off fast cars etc. and its for sale..

and since he is a mate we can get it really chesap, the on ly problem is its a fresh import, not registeredi dont think either and also what i am asking is what dpo i look out for to make sure it isnt a ****ter? the service histroy is in japanese so all tghe papers with it make no sense, we have no idea what auction grade it was either, but it clooks clean, i have access to a ramp etc. for checkin the full car out..

so please tips on what to look for i.e. costly items.. main thing is engine.. i dont want anything to go wrong, hes my mate so dont want to go back to him.
obviously service and timing belt as soon as we get it.. does water pump need doin at same time as timing belt or not?

apart from that how do we know the engine is going to be fine lol

any help would be appreciated as itll be worth it taking his car very cheap rather than getting an older model for the same price. plus its styled really well with it being parked up, he spent money on its looks while it was off road, so alloys tyres new lip.. larger scoop etc. all top quality!

cheers
Old 23 September 2008, 10:58 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

sorry i say garaged, its not, its kept on private secure land.. spending half time in garage or parked outside it.
Old 24 September 2008, 07:42 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You will not be able to get a version 6 sti registered as it does not have a model report.

Banny
Old 24 September 2008, 08:29 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

its strange , just spoke to him and it is registered and it is on an r reg

however when i look at it, its definately a version 6
Old 24 September 2008, 09:11 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

If it has a front lip, slight raised lip on rear spoiler and the clutch has to be pressed for it to start then it is defo a version 6. In that case someone has registered it as a version 4 to avoid and esva, as then all you need is an mot to get it registered.

Banny
Old 24 September 2008, 10:55 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

yep its definately a version 6 and in that rare yellow
brand new exhausts system to0

so how do i know if the engine is in good nick and hasnt been abused? should i risk it? can the engines take a lot of abuse.. as i dont know its history back in japan.

as long as i service it and get timing belt done. would it be ok? as my bro has big plans for it, so we dont want the engine going on us.

also when doing timing belt.. is it worth doing anything else at the same time?
Old 24 September 2008, 03:16 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if you do the timing belt then it could be an idea to do the waterpump, not expensive and with age they can fail and replacement is a new timing belt job so spend the £30 and do it at the same time. If the car has been standing for a yr, I would also personally change the oil pump (probably not a neccessaity but I would do it for peace of mind)

You will never know if the engine is going to blow until it is going. Personally if the car hasnt been started for a year, then I would do an oil / filter change (standing oil does degrade) and I would then either disconnect the crank sensor and crank it to build pressure up or turn it over by hand it by hand, reason being if it has stood then the bearings could be dry.

Then to be honest its a matter of listening to noises watching for leaks, does it rev freely etc, things you would do for a normal car.
Old 24 September 2008, 03:27 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, just what i was looking for

i think we'll go for it.. £5000 for the version 6

rare yellow.. full decatted exhaust system.. hks ssqv.. new multi spoke lightweight white alloys and tyres.. larger bonnet scoop.. a different front bumper lol dont know which one.. and decent deck inside dvd one.. all guages and boos controller, alarms, turbo timers etc.

works out a lot cheaper than mine lol am jealous
Old 25 September 2008, 12:24 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=jaytc2003;8153434]Personally if the car hasnt been started for a year, then I would do an oil / filter change (standing oil does degrade) and I would then either disconnect the crank sensor and crank it to build pressure up or turn it over by hand it by hand, reason being if it has stood then the bearings could be dry.
QUOTE]

he says its been started about once evry month.. would i still need to do that?
Old 25 September 2008, 12:51 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Always errr on the of caution and for the sake of £50, I would do the oil and filter change, following the above procedure on start up.

Banny