Notices

Leaking bugeye boot - advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2008, 06:23 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Leaking bugeye boot - advice please!

Hi all,

Given that's it's been a nice day today I decided to bite the bullet and rip everything out of the boot as I've had a fair few occassions in the past where I've found the boot carpet and contents damp or even wet.

Having ripped out all the carpet, spare wheel, etc I found the lot was sopping wet on the left hand side. I also found that the two pockets either side of the boot (the left one holds the jack and the toolkit) were at least 2 inches deep in water and the spare wheel well had a fair bit floating in the bottom as well.

I used the two plugs in the spare wheel well to drain the water out of there. Couldn't find plugs in the side pockets so sponged it all out (if there's an easier way PLEASE share it with me!)

Now I'm trying to find where the hell this water is coming from. It's always been a bit of a problem. Since I changed my WRX spoiler to an STI replica and sealed the holes myself with silicone sealant it's been better but I'm still experiencing leaks.

The seal around the boot has been cleaned thoroughly and I've plugged the only other visible open gap in my bootlid where the spoiler brake light comes in. Any other suggestions where the heck this could be coming in? It's driving me mad and ruining my boot carpet and spare wheel board.
Old 14 September 2008, 06:27 PM
scoobaru86
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In had this on my old scoob after I changed the spoiler I couldn't seem to stop it even with sealant. So I took it off a stated again to see if i missed a small hole for the cable to go through. good luck
Old 14 September 2008, 06:28 PM
Ozzy_555
Scooby Regular

Did you check your rear clusters? Heard a few people having to re-seal there lights due to leaking.
Old 14 September 2008, 07:48 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

same problem giles, get your spoiler re sealed
Old 15 September 2008, 08:36 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem with a new spoiler.......down at TSL they locked someone in the boot with a torch and started laying on the water

I think they stopped before she drowned LOL

Shaun