Notices

dccd noise/juddering

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2008, 10:56 AM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dccd noise/juddering

i never use the wheel thing on my car but this morning decided to have a go as it was very wet,just moved it one notch forward,in a straight line it felt like the steering was lightly grabbing from side to side and on corners the car was juddering,after a mile or so on a corner the whole car was shaking and clunking from the front had to stop,put it back to open and all was fine for the next 4 miles home,any ideas
Old 13 September 2008, 11:31 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m new to scoobies and I must admit when I researching models etc

I was very surprised to see that certain ones had DCCD (Driver controlled centre diff)

I have owned and do own big 4x4 cars (Range Rovers and Toyota Landcruisers) which both employ various forms of centre diff locking devices (manual a viscous)

and basically unless it is very very loose and slippery (Gravel or Ice) you should never use the Diff Lock cos you will get transmission windup

the car will judder/skip a lot and basically want to go in a straight line -- it puts a massive strain on the transmission

so was amazed when it seemed that on certain road going impreza's this facility was present -- seems like a recipe for disaster to me