Notices

HELP! Squeek & loss of steering since selecting wrong gear

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2008, 11:46 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Squeek & loss of steering since selecting wrong gear

Hi all. More bad news with my motor I'm afraid. On my way home from work this evening I was accelerating through 3rd to change to 4th and I accidentally hit 2nd, only for a brief moment and then I selected the correct gear. But since doing that I noticed on my way home, only occasionally I would get a squeaking, like a belt slipping and my steering would go sluggish. Is it the power steering belt at all? Its the only thing I can think it might be.

Any ideas how much it might cost to replace?

Thanks again guys
Old 21 August 2008, 11:50 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

They are only about £10 IIRC. Check what state yours is in. Splits cracks loose etc.....
Do it sooner rather than later because if the belt goes you will have no alternator or power steering.

Mike
Old 21 August 2008, 11:53 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Thats great thanks for the quick reply. I cant get teh car in the garage till thursday (its already booked in to have the crankshaft oil seal replaced), do you think it will be safe to use till then as I need it for work?
Old 22 August 2008, 09:30 AM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

It should be ok as long as its not on its last threads and it doesn't get over revved again
Old 22 August 2008, 01:50 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdyl69
Thats great thanks for the quick reply. I cant get teh car in the garage till thursday (its already booked in to have the crankshaft oil seal replaced), do you think it will be safe to use till then as I need it for work?
The belts need to come off to do that job, anyway, so there should be no labour charge for putting a new belt on, just the cost of the belt itself.
Have you actually had a look and checked the belt tension? It's a quick enough job to tension the belt. Slacken the alternator mounting bolt and adjust the tension with the tensioner nuts then lock them all up.
You must have hit some revs?

JohnD
Old 30 August 2008, 01:10 AM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Turns out there was nothing wrong with the belt, something to do with the crank pulley or something, more bad news for me. The mechanic told me it lookslike someones had a go at welding it before and f**ked it up, just my luck as usual. Anyway, he used some stuff he has to seal it up and fitted the new oil seal and belt anyway and all seems well for now till something else goes wrong which it no doubt will with the run of luck I'm having. Thanks for the help by the way guys