Update on Hesitation - Now smells like Fuel - 1995 Wagon WRX

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2008, 03:59 PM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Update on Hesitation - Now smells like Fuel - 1995 Wagon WRX

Hi all,

Slight update on the hesitation issue. Bought some new spark plugs, PFR7B, hopefully these will be suitable at 1.1 bar on the TD05?

As before the car hesitates at anything over 0.6 bar, stutters like crazy. It also smells really fuelly. The only thing I can think of is that mixture of fuel and air is not being ignited in one of the cylinders maybe due to incorrect gaps on the plugs or a faulty coil pack. Will let you know how the spark plug change goes and if it remedies anything, will gap to 0.6mm.

Does anyone have any clues into what could be causing the fuel smell, if she manages to occasionally run past 0.6 bar she pulls hard but then smells of fuel. Most of the time it just hesitates though

T
Old 16 August 2008, 05:10 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

The smell of fuel is a good indicator that it's an ignition problem (unless you are massively over fueling which I would suggest would give different symptoms).

If the ignition is not strong enough for what ever reason (plug gap/coil) then it will simply 'blow out' when more boost is applied meaning a misfire and unburnt fuel.

I definately think you're on to the right track
Old 17 August 2008, 11:05 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for a set of four coilpacks
Old 19 August 2008, 02:42 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Bummer, I have same issue with my 96 classic wagon and after being quoted a god damn fortune by my local subaru dealership I was trying to put off buying coilpacks. Is there any difference between the original subaru ones and the so called uprated aftermarket ones floating around?
Old 21 August 2008, 09:26 PM
dale_b_type_r
Scooby Regular

I've managed to find aftermarket coils that are apparently made by the same guys that made the OEM originas for £240.00 all in. I can't comment on the eBay ones but they look very similar from the pictures.

I've replaced the two rear shocks and the front inner wishbone bushes which has stopped the creeking so that's one positive from this week. Got some new track rods on order as the joint sleeves had split so will fit those over the weekend.

Only problem left (touch wood) is the hesitation. Will also do the plugs this weekend when I get time on the ramp which I feel will help the hesitation, got the platinum PR7's and will gap to 0.6mm. Once these are in I can conclude if the coil packs need replacing but not going to waste money until 100% sure! Car occasionaly feels great but most of the time hesitates/judders anywhere above 0.5 bar with stong fuel smell until it kicks into safety mode.

Quick one is there any easy way to see if the car has a TD05 are there markings on the housings? I was told it was a TD05 but not 100% as the previous owner didn't do any of the mods himself.

Thanks all,

T
Old 21 August 2008, 11:40 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

I think (but I may be wrong) that the pre 97 cars had the TD05 then after that went to the TD04, no idea why. Let me know how you get on with the plugs and stuff, I'd love to get mine boosting right. Also, where have you found the coilpacks for £240 if they're the same as OEM's?