Notices

Cooling system problems - Help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2008, 09:32 PM
MARCUSF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling system problems - Help please!!!

I have recently bought a clubman spec 1995 RA Rally car, my first Impreza, and its giving me a few problems.

Spec wise its on a 34mm restrictor, front mounted intercooler, alloy rad, twin fans, steel head gaskets, Motec management with launch control and Anti lag. On its first event it boiled up at the end of a 7 mile stage and it turned out the fans werent working. It was fine under normal road conditions but as soon as we pushed it on with the anti lag switched on it, unsurprisingly, boiled.

I've now sorted the fan issue but since then it has started pressurising the water system. The gauge still sits at halfway but by the time its had a bit of spirited driving with the anti lag running (not even at full rally pace) its blowing back past the cap into the overflow bottle (behind the passenger headlight) which is bubbling away like mad, let it sit for a minute with the fans running and it returns to normal. I have tried a 2 new caps on the expansion tank, a 0.9 and a 1.3, and it makes no difference. You can still pinch the top and bottom hoses but there is some pressure in there.

Im guessing its a head gasket problem (even though its got steel gaskets) but as im totally new to Subarus is this normal? or is there anything else I ought to look at before I start ripping the engine out!!!

Help please!!!!!

thanks

Marcus
Old 14 August 2008, 06:43 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Hi Marcus, I would have a compression test done first and see if this reveals any problems. Failing that talk to a knowledgeable mapper based near to you, their knowledge is worth its weight in gold! I know this advice is not a lot of help, but, it gets you back on the first page. Good luck
Old 14 August 2008, 07:26 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

head gaskets has gone m8 ....just had the same problem. all the test show its as normal but pressure was building in the cooling system, and mine had arp studs with multi layer gasket as well !!!

the signs are that its just starting to go
Old 15 August 2008, 08:20 PM
MARCUSF
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help guys, looks like this weekends job is taking the engine out!!