Notices

Oil leak help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2008, 06:07 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak help!!

Hi all, I really need some help with my scoob. Its an N reg 1996 Impreza Turbo Estate, I had a new water pump and cam belt fitted last week due to the pump leaking coolant everywhere but it appears I have oil leaking into where the Cam belt is housed, somewhere near the centre by the big pully. It was cleaned when the new belt was fitted but after giving my car a bit of a run there was smoke coming from under my bonnet, upon inspection I found it was coming from inside the cam belt housing near the pully in the centre of the block. I've got it booked back in the garage for the 18th but I'm really worried about cost as I've spent a small fortune on this thing since buying it and I'm starting to run out of patience with it.

Does anyone have any idea what could be leaking and how to & how much it would cost to fix it?

Many thanks again guys
Old 12 August 2008, 06:27 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Could be your crank seal. Good news is it's about £7 for the seal, the bad news is that the cam belt needs to come off to fit it. If the cam belt has a lot of oil on it then it may well need replacing as well. The oil would be leaking from the middle of the engine and running down onto the under tray. The garage should really of mentioned this before doing the cam belt. It's cheap to do with everything off and would of only taken a few mins. I feel for you mate, it seems like everything is against you sometimes.
Old 12 August 2008, 09:54 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Bummer, its just difficult at the moment because I've only just started a new job which I need to drive 20 miles to every day and I have a new baby at home so I can't afford to not make it to work. I can't believe they wouldn't of looked into this as they said when I took it back they noticed some oil and cleaned it up. Well I ain't paying for another cam belt if this is something they should of picked up on. I'm really starting to regret buying this car now, its costing me so much money for syupid little things its just unreal.

Anyway, enough of my whining now, thanks for the help skooby53, always appreciated