Notices

Airtemp sensor on MY99/00 Power FC

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2008, 12:07 PM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtemp sensor on MY99/00 Power FC

Has anybody wired the Airtemp sensor into the ECU on a WRX MY99/00?
It seems as the STIs have got this sensor and the Apexi has the wiring to support it too...
I found the following about the aftermarket wiring of an airtempsensor, but this doesn´t affect my car doesn´t it?!?
If I just wire the sensor into the stock loom it should work without any issues, right?

"Some PowerFC's have support for the AirTemp sensor under MONITOR but the car itself does not utilize a factory air temp inlet sensor. I attempted to hook up an airtemp sensor on my ECR33 PowerFC and fried the powerfc and damaged a sensor on my car. The concept was to look at which pin on the BNR33 PowerFC the air temp sensor was connected on and then try and replicate this on the ECR33 PowerFC. I tried this and it did not work, I tried an adjacent wire and it fried the PowerFC. It has since been fixed and all is working but I do not recommend you try to get this working. It may work out costly like it could have been in my case."
Old 24 July 2008, 03:47 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a word, yes, it works. I have a WRX 4 on a Power FC. I simply fitted an STi3 temp sensor to it, wired one side to earth and the other directly into one of the pins of the ECU (can't remember which!) and it works. It will give a temp readout on the Commander and it can be used as a mapping input as well. If you can find a pinout diagram for an STi 5/6 ECU it will show which pin takes the temp sensor.
Old 25 July 2008, 10:29 AM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

Many thanks that´s good news, perfect!
I already have found the PIN I have to wire it on the Ecus side, no need to search!
Where did you place the sensor?
I thought about to drill it into the TMIC, so I can see heatsoak conditions and retard timing in this case!
The stock mountingplace is in the inletpipe or somewhere in the region of the airfilter isn´t it?
Old 27 July 2008, 09:37 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

I glued the sensor with epoxy resin into a metal bung that I'd drilled a hole through. I then drilled a hole in my intercooler pipe just before the throttle body, and tapped a thread into it to match my metal bung. Then I just screwed in my sensor into the pipe and sealed it with silicone.

The stock position on an STi3/4 is in the snorkel just in front of the airbox. So it's only really measuring engine bay ambient temperature. If you want it to be useful you need it in your boost circuit somewhere, ideally close to the throttle body.
Old 28 July 2008, 09:36 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

You can run a die up the sensor to cut a thread but don't cut too deep for obvious reasons.
If you look under "view my scooby", you can see the sensor screwed into the intercooler pipe next to the alternator.

Last edited by AlanG; 28 July 2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 28 July 2008, 09:39 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Yes that was what I did, and I did cut too deep and it peeled off the outer layer of plastic like an onion....hence why I just set it in epoxy in the end LOL
Old 28 July 2008, 10:22 AM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the informations, seems as I have to place it direct into the intercooler, as between the STI V8 TMIC and the trottlebody there is no space to drill it in! ;(

Trending Topics

Old 28 July 2008, 07:03 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

That would be a better option really, as the intercooler at least has enough thickness of metal to get it threaded in there securely.