Notices

Can a BOV cause the car to run hot.

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2008, 12:46 PM
pinchers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a BOV cause the car to run hot.

I recently changed over my Greddy BOV for a HKS SSQV, since then i feel the car is running alot hotter, the engine bay seems hotter after a drive and when u get out u can feel heat woffting out from underneath the car, im still making fine adjustments to the BOV as the cars vacuum is causing the valve to pass slightly.
Is all this heat just my imagination or could the valve be causing this?
maybe the car is running rich cause there is a slight air leak, would this do it?
all the internal gauges (oil, water temps) are all the same, just seems to be alot of heat from the car after a drive which maybe i never used to notice.

Anyone got any advice.
Old 24 July 2008, 09:25 AM
BlooSooby
Scooby Regular

A properly installed bov shouldn't make any difference to the running temp of the engine, after all, you're only venting the air charge to atmosphere instead of back into the inlet tract.

If the bov is leaking this would cause the car to run rich, this would normally be noticeable by popping/backfiring when decelerating off the throttle. It shouldn't cause the car to run hot though, in fact, running rich will have the opposite effect. Running lean will cause the engine to run hot and is more likely to damage the engine.

I'd put the standard bov back on and see how she goes in case there's another problem that you're not aware of.
Old 24 July 2008, 01:17 PM
daves2rs
Scooby Regular

Pinchers - for a change its been really warm in Scotland the past few days. Its quite possible the car might be a bit hotter than normal.

Blooscooby offered some sound advice aswell. I wouldnt trust BOV's in the event they fail and cause the maf to overfuel.
Old 24 July 2008, 03:41 PM
pinchers
Scooby Regular

It sure is a bit hotter, yeah maybe im just worrying over nothing :-s
i have a Air/fuel gauge i keep meaning to fit so i will see whats going on with the fuel mix.
Old 24 July 2008, 09:53 PM
pinchers
Scooby Regular

Well i put on the Greddy BOV that i had on before the HKS and everything is fine and the car does seem to be running cooler, no heat wave hitting you when u get out of the car or burny smells of WD40, todays just as hot as the other day that i thot the car was running hot and everything,
so could the HKS SSQV be causing this ?
must be running lean but how by changing the BOV can it cause this?
Old 26 July 2008, 12:33 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Interesting you mention this as I also have one of these fitted (think it's the same will check) I have recently picked up a 2004 UK STI..... Oil temp seems to run around 90-100 with normal driving but from what I gather this isn't too bad.

I have also noticed that the engine seems to be throwing out a lot of heat when stopping. The previous owner gave me the standard dump valve with some other stuff, is it ok to put the standard valve back on as my car has had a ECUTek remap?

Thanks for any info
Old 26 July 2008, 08:14 AM
BlooSooby
Scooby Regular

Putting the standard BOV back on won't have any effect because you've had a remap.

I put my standard one back on and actually preferred it, I got a bit fed up with the whooshing sound...but now i've had a 2.5 conversion and I'm running 20 psi of boost I've got the GFB hybrid back on and in recirc mode because the standard BOV can leak at higher boost pressures......apparently.

Trending Topics

Old 26 July 2008, 06:27 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks for the info.

Might swap it at some point to see if it makes any dfference.

They easy to change?