Notices

NEW ENGINE OR REBUILD? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2008, 08:23 AM
adzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW ENGINE OR REBUILD? HELP

basically my engine went bang and now i need help and advice.

i'm either gonna buy a sti bottom end or rebuild my wrx block with uprated rods,pistons etc.

sti block will cost me 1k but what power advantage does it have over the wrx block?

or if i rebuild my wrx block what kinda cost am i looking at and what power advantages will i get over the sti block if any?

any help would be great as i'm no scooby expert
Old 23 July 2008, 06:56 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is the engine ??
The main difference between the WRX/STi Short motor is the Pistons - cast on the WRX and Forged on the STi.
Rods and crank are the same(except the Version 9) and the STi engine is "reportedly" to have hand selected rods and crank when built.
The main power advantages come from the heads/cams/turbo/injectors/ECU and map/etc etc.
The block is built to stand the power/torque demanded of it from the external parts/mods fitted to it.

Mick
Old 24 July 2008, 12:06 AM
Badbird
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv got a v3 sti block, Crank,Rods and pistons for sale the engine had a head gasket go and we rebuilt it a s a 2.5 it diddnt have any bearing issues although new bearings/rings would be wise make me an offer
this is only the above nothing else
cheers
Old 24 July 2008, 12:46 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merlin24
Rods and crank are the same(except the Version 9) and the STi engine is "reportedly" to have hand selected rods and crank when built.
Mick
Interestingly Mick, when I took apart my V4 WRX block and the two STi-RA CDBs that I had, in every case the four rods from each block were balanced to within a range of 2 grams. However, IIRC the ones from the CDBs were noticeably lighter although the construction looked the same. So perhaps they did hand pick the lighter ones from the batches they made, to use in the STi blocks?
Old 25 July 2008, 12:31 AM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silent running
Interestingly Mick, when I took apart my V4 WRX block and the two STi-RA CDBs that I had, in every case the four rods from each block were balanced to within a range of 2 grams. However, IIRC the ones from the CDBs were noticeably lighter although the construction looked the same. So perhaps they did hand pick the lighter ones from the batches they made, to use in the STi blocks?

The rods were all from the same Parts Bin ( ) but i have found that if you strip an "unmolested" STi block,the rods are generally at the "light" end of the scale (+- 0.5g).