Notices

Induction kit after ecutek remap?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2008, 06:05 PM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Induction kit after ecutek remap?

Hi guys, I have an MY00 impreza turbo 2000 and im after an induction kit, preferably one enclosed within a carbon fibre surround to avoid the dreaded heat sap. Was thinking along the lines of a pipercross viper, BMC CDA or a K&N Apollo.

My car already has a green filter and GFB dump valve, full s/s exhaust inc sport cat, Ecutek remap by TSL motorsport (275-280BHP v-power)

I have heard some bad things about induction kits though including them wrecking MAF's and causing damage to the engine. On the positive side ive heard they produce good power gains and sound the bollox! (I love the sound of induction)

Would my car need to be remaped again after fitting induction kit?
Would I notice a power gain?
Are they bad for the really that bad for the engine/MAF?
Are they really worth getting over a panel filter?

Any advice much appreciated
Old 20 July 2008, 06:12 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was advised to stay away from IK's when I had my remap. The standard air box/uprated filter is good for 350bhp. They can wreck MAF's and, like my MY99, the 99/00 MAF is the weakest of them all. As for power gains it is more like the induction noise making you think you are actually going quicker! IMHO I think you are better off sticking with the air box on your MY. Unless of course you plan on fitting a FMIC!

Last edited by Skooby53; 20 July 2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 20 July 2008, 09:06 PM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply but why would an induction kit cause damage to the MAF? and would it cause damage to the engine if i was to fit one without a remap? Ive owner a few cars with them on in the past and they caused no problems and i def noticed a power gain!
Old 20 July 2008, 09:23 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

The standard air box is not restrictive up to 300 bhp and are regularly used up to 350 bhp. The main reason for fitting a IK is when you fit a FMIC you need to route the piping through the area of the air box. There is no extra power to be gained by fitting them. The way the air enters the air intake can damage the MAF, its a very fine wire and very delicate. If it gets damaged it will idle rough and stall on tick over. I would say that if you wanted to try an IK then buy it and see how it goes, but, on a MY99/00 this is a risk. A MAF cartridge is about £90 so factor this into your costs just in case.
Old 20 July 2008, 09:29 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I fitted one to my MY99 years back and didn't feel any power increase and induction noise didn't seem to increase. The move paid off in the end as i got a FMIC. I i was to buy another Scoob, then an IK would be last on the list unless i went front mount again!!!
Old 20 July 2008, 09:31 PM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

ok mate but surely an IK is far less restrictive than an airbox, thus better breathing and more power? can it damage the MAF due to the velocity of the air going in or because of the IKs letting through pieces of dust because of bad filtration? The only reason im so keen in gettin one is because you hear of all these claims that they can give nice bhp gains, and are commonly used on modified cars. i would have thought it would work well on my set up to compliment the free flowing exhaust.
Old 20 July 2008, 09:45 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

A standard impreza is a modified car! Subaru put a lot of time and effort into production cars. Many road going developments are derived from WRC cars if it was better with an IK they would of made it that way. The standard Sti panel filter is just as good as a KN or a Green filter. All the reasons you mention are why you should avoid fitting an IK. If its fitted without a cold air feed it will only suck in warm air and then you start losing power.

Trending Topics

Old 20 July 2008, 09:56 PM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

i thought that most companies chose to use a panel filter was to comply with noise regulations, cant have a production car roaring like f**k!! i think i will prob give the IK a miss then, i just really wanted the induction roar they give, and possible top end gains they claim to give. although if its def safe to run one without a remap and a cheap one appears on ebay then i might jus give in lol
Old 21 July 2008, 12:32 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

For a bit of induction noise, you can remove the resonator box fitted in the drivers side inner wing.
A common reason for I/K causing the MAF to fail is that they generally don't fix solid and vibrate unlike the o/e air box.
Old 21 July 2008, 06:39 AM
SimonSTI22
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bob r
For a bit of induction noise, you can remove the resonator box fitted in the drivers side inner wing.
If i'm gettin this right, The main purpose of the box you mean is to lower the volume of the induction kit, and by removing it, the induction sound will be higher, sticking the OE filter? (Need to find a way to connect the filter box with the OE intake system..)
Old 21 July 2008, 05:56 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

i too was told to stay away from ik and even panel filters due to small particals of oil ruining the maf sensor one one spec of it and there shot, had 2 fitted in 12 months so now i run standard filter after re map with all mods and no problems at all since plus never felt a bit of power loss, waist of money filters they all kill my98-my00 mafs imho. but a lot will argue against me on that but am not waisting 180 quid a year on maf's
Old 11 January 2010, 01:21 PM
krissbuff
Scooby Newbie

I had major problems when i put an induction kit on my 2005 wrx. Chewed its way through 2 MAF sensors and a fuel ratio sensor (not Cheap) id stay away from them.. but if anyone want to buy mine off me for £60 your welcome to it.
Old 11 January 2010, 02:35 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

I had an ik on my99 was total dog ****, it ran crap was really slow and used horendous amounts of fuel swapped it for a green panel and no probs it's been great ever since, well recommended!!