Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu chips

does anyone know if these chips are any good
Old 15 July 2008, 11:06 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Im running a polar performance chip in my RA,and very pleased with it! I wouldn't get a cheap ebay one,but one from a reputable place.
Old 16 July 2008, 12:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

personaly i wouldn't use a generic map if you paid me, yes there cheaper, but theres no gaurenty the fueling will be correct, and also you wont get the best possible result anyway
Old 16 July 2008, 01:07 PM
Brooksy40
Scooby Newbie

Default ECU Chips

Hi, I'm running A Polar Performance chip and am very pleased - it's transformed my 93 WRX Import in every way
Old 16 July 2008, 07:40 PM
philbr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
personaly i wouldn't use a generic map if you paid me, yes there cheaper, but theres no gaurenty the fueling will be correct, and also you wont get the best possible result anyway
have you never run a car with a standard ecu???
out of the factory all 'maps' are generic!
using a good quality researched 'generic' chip like the polar performance will enhance performance still leaving all settings with a safe limit.

of course if you've got a huuuuge turbo and associated tuning then perhaps you might consider an aftermarket programmeable ecu.
Old 16 July 2008, 08:30 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

so the prodrive ppp is not worth fitting?.....have had ppp in the past and am running a polar performance chip in my ra,both work really well.....ok not totally perfect for the best posible result but does the trick
Old 16 July 2008, 09:30 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

The difference with the PPP and standard ecu is their mapped for exact specs of the car,so every car is the same. The after market chips are fitted to cars in various states of tune,so won't be able to offer the same reliability or results. I must admit i wouldn't fit one with more mods than the exhaust/filter/pump that i have. Im also using it as a stepping stone to a replacement ecu.
Old 16 July 2008, 10:11 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of these chips would have the generic map of an sti on anyway to save themselves the hassle.
Old 17 July 2008, 09:04 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

ok here goes for the tenth time.

my car runs an autronics ecu.

my old ecu (ecutek'd) was sold to a mate to go on his car, at a rolling road day he switched it and then ran it to check all was ok, both identicle cars, identical mods, similar milage (about 5 k difference) and even the same colour!

on my car the ecu made the engine run rich dyno'd multiple times over its life on my car, on his it ran so lean the operator terminated the run due to not wanting to kill the engine.

so on identicle cars the same map didn't work and was in fact dangerous to the engine.

so thats worst case.

best case it runs fine, however how can you check it? best way chuck it on a dyno, so thats another 50 for a power run. also the generic maps are just that generic, they arn't tailoured to the car, a tech 3 map will give approx 20bhp extra and similar torque on the same car.

so the possible out comes,

A> works ok but doesn't get the best out of the car
B> causes the car to run dangerously lean, or rich due to bad AFR

Also, scoobs are one of the few cars where tuners don't use generic maps, take vaxuhalls or even evo's, plug computer in copy the map, quick check and thanks that £300. map will of only cost them £3000 ish to get right, about £100 to apply it to the car and within 20 cars there larfing and making £200 per map. this means its in there best interest to do this, yet they dont, y is that?

its your choice as to what you do, but none of the tuners or main mappers use them or recomend them. yes they are cheaper, but is it a false economy?
Old 17 July 2008, 10:54 AM
Angry Dog
Scooby Regular

Maps arent always at fault.

Wiring plays a HUGE part in alot of engine failures!

If the wiring is brittle, the car can run lean.

Remember too that the fuel pump delivers fuel at xxx litres per hour at xx volts. the more fuel pressure you're running, the higher the draw on the pump. If your wiring is crap, it will actually drop the voltage as the wires cannot carry the power.

If you are running 3.5bar fuel pressure at the rail, and you're running 2 bar of turbo pressure, at its peak you are running 5.5bar fuel pressure. if you adjust your FPR to run 4bar, you're now running 6bar. It all puts a strain on your fuel system.

Also, the FPR could've been at fault / set up wrong. Too high fuel pressure is just as bad as too low - Fuel injectors work in a set range - too much pressure on them and they may open slower.

its not ALL about the map.
Old 17 July 2008, 11:44 AM
daves2rs
Scooby Regular

To answer the OP original question. Your 96 wrx would benefit from the ESL option with a custom remap at a reasonable price for power gained with the right mods. ESL has proven to work well with very good results and maintains all the factory goodies i.e. Knock Control\3D boost mapping etc etc.

Check out My Scooby <<<<<<< Recently on the rollers 328bhp\315lb torque
Old 17 July 2008, 01:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Angry Dog
Maps arent always at fault.

Wiring plays a HUGE part in alot of engine failures!

If the wiring is brittle, the car can run lean.

Remember too that the fuel pump delivers fuel at xxx litres per hour at xx volts. the more fuel pressure you're running, the higher the draw on the pump. If your wiring is crap, it will actually drop the voltage as the wires cannot carry the power.

If you are running 3.5bar fuel pressure at the rail, and you're running 2 bar of turbo pressure, at its peak you are running 5.5bar fuel pressure. if you adjust your FPR to run 4bar, you're now running 6bar. It all puts a strain on your fuel system.

Also, the FPR could've been at fault / set up wrong. Too high fuel pressure is just as bad as too low - Fuel injectors work in a set range - too much pressure on them and they may open slower.

its not ALL about the map.
not alot you can do about part failure other than a periodical once over.
Old 17 July 2008, 01:20 PM
Angry Dog
Scooby Regular

not alot you can do about part failure other than a periodical once over.
You can help prevent it - if your car is old, its worth checking the wiring / replacing the fuel pump.

Running new cable to the fuel pump shouldnt be too hard, unless you dont have access to the fuel pump, and i think they run an internal pump?

Either way, get access to the pump, run 8 gauge cable from the battery, put it into a relay, use the existing wiring to switch the relay to allow the 8 gauge cable to now be the main feed, run 8 gauge from the relay to the pump, and then make sure the pump has a good earth cable, again 8 gauge.
Old 17 July 2008, 01:30 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

its not realy required, might be an issue on other cars but not heard of a failure due to duff wiring ona scoob, tends to be the fuel pump just stops working or shorts out (mate went through 3 till was sorted but no other damage)
Old 17 July 2008, 01:56 PM
Angry Dog
Scooby Regular

it may not be heard of because people may never of checked the wiring?

I know it can be a factor on cosworths. Its better to be safe than sorry with some instances.
Old 17 July 2008, 05:26 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

thast fords for you lol, joking aside i don't think its an issue on scoobs, duff mapping however can be
Old 17 July 2008, 05:37 PM
philbr
Scooby Regular

back to the op!

yes researched good quality chips are good imho, polar performance chip on my import wrx made a huge difference for the good.
cheap ebay chips with no customer support, very bad!