Is this good warranty cover?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2002, 03:13 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All

I'm thinking about buying a cheap 120k-140k miles Volvo 850/V70 T5 as a runabout. I've been quoted ~£200 for 12 months' warranty by Warranty Wise for the following cover with a max £2.5k claim limit. Does this seem like good value insurance and is it covering all the right oily things? To put this in context, I'm looking at spending £3k-£4k on the car and it's going to be doing bugger all mileage.

ENGINE
Valve rocker assembly, hydraulic cam followers, inlet & exhaust valves (not burnt out valves), valve springs and valve guides, cylinder heads (not cracks, skim or de-coking), cylinder head gaskets, push rods, camshaft and cam followers, timing gears and timing chains, camshaft timing belts, oil pump, pistons and piston rings, cylinder bores, connecting rods, gudgeon pins and bearings, crankshaft and bearings, inlet manifolds, flywheel and starter motor ring gear.

MANUAL GEARBOX
Internal gears, synchromesh hubs, selectors, bearings, bushes and transfer gears.

CLUTCH
Centre plate (not wear to friction material), pressure plate, release bearing, master cylinder and slave cylinder, oil contamination of centre plate.

DIFFERENTIALS AND PROP SHAFTS
Internal crown wheel, pinion, gears, shafts, bearings, bushes, thrust washers, spacers, all universal joints and couplings.

FRONT AND REAR WHEEL DRIVE ASSEMBLY AND WHEEL BEARINGS
Half shafts, external drive shafts, constant velocity joints (not gaiters), universal joints, couplings and front and rear wheel bearings

COOLING SYSTEM
Radiator, water pump, viscous fan coupling, thermostat and the thermostat housing. EXCLUSIONS: oil cooler, heater matrix.

FUEL SYSTEM
Mechanical or electrical fuel injection pump, lift pump. EXCLUSIONS: Automatic choke, fuel tank sender unit.

FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
Everything's excluded!!

STEERING AND POWER STEERING
Power assisted rack and power steering pump, steering rack and pinion (not gaiters), steering box and steering idle box. EXCLUSIONS: Power steering resevoir.

FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION
Front and rear coil springs, hydrolastic displacers, hydro-pneumatic spheres. EXCLUSIONS: Upper and lower wishbones, ball joints and swivel joints.

BRAKING SYSTEM
Master cylinder, wheel cylinders, restrictor valve, brake caliper seals. EXCLUSIONS: Brake servo.

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Starter motor, starter solenoid including pre-engagement mechanism and bendix driver, alternator and alternator diode pack, ignition coil, voltage regulator, front and rear windscreen wiper motors, windscreen washer motors, electric window lift motors, indicator flasher relay. EXCLUSIONS: Ignition distributor, electronic ignition amplifier, sunroof motors and switch, central locking, heater fan motor, thermostatically controlled radiator fan motor, horn, multifunction indicator stalk switch.

ECU: included

AIR CONDITIONING
Main compressor unit

ABS
Modulator unit and speed sensors

TURBO: included

CONSUMABLES GASKETS AND CASING
Engine oil, gearbox oil, oil filters, antifreeze, gaskets and casings where required as a result of repairs to items covered under the policy.

TIA

Lee.
Old 03 February 2002, 03:31 PM
my99
Scooby Regular

Seems OK, but I find that warranties are only as good as the garage you deal with, ie they put claim for you etc.

Cheers
Garry
Old 03 February 2002, 04:44 PM
pob on the job
Scooby Regular

Check the small print, normal wear and tear is not covered by most and most stipulate cover only available up to x thousand miles.
Old 03 February 2002, 05:31 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

Thx all. Bet that it gets messy distinguishing between failure and wear & tear.
Old 03 February 2002, 06:21 PM
pob on the job
Scooby Regular

And I think you know who normally wins!
Old 05 February 2002, 08:56 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Wink

And beware the definition of "Sudden failure". If a seal fails and leaks oil eg power steering pump etc, I think you may find that it is not covered. I am very sceptical with these warranties - once bitten etc etc. Read the small print.

Jerome
Old 06 February 2002, 06:59 PM
silverscoobports
Scooby Regular

anyone with any warranty qs feel free to e-mail me