Notices

question for experts /Mappers

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2008, 06:07 PM
Badbird
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for experts /Mappers

would you prefer to use the standard ecu controled boost solanoid or an after market manual one such as a turbosmart??

also would a FSE power boost valve type fuel regulator be much better than an ome one? I have these i just dont know if they are worth fitting??

thanks chaps
Old 22 June 2008, 06:15 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Depends what your trying to achieve really ?
Old 22 June 2008, 06:22 PM
Badbird
Scooby Regular

ok well the motor is a fully forged ,manley/ Mahl ect 2.5 big cams /valves/springs Ported heads Gt35 turbo Hyperflow monster fmic slightly unequal length headers. 3" sports cat system walboro pump.at present it has standerd sti inlet and map it is going for mapping soon so i need to know what will help and what will hinder the mapper,I dont know a great deal as im new to fast scoobys and i have to say that my car even with the standerd map/injectors ect is realy stupidly quick compared to what it was....v3 STI type R

Last edited by Badbird; 22 June 2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 22 June 2008, 06:27 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Badbird
ok well the motor is a fully forged 2.5 big cams Gt35 turbo Hyperflow monster fmic slightly unequal length headers. 3" sports cat system walboro pump.at present it has standerd sti inlet and map it is going for mapping soon so i need to know what will help and what will hinder the mapper,I dont know a great deal as im new to fast scoobys and i have to say that my car even with the standerd map/injectors ect is realy stupidly quick compared to what it was....v3 STI type R
Old 22 June 2008, 06:30 PM
Badbird
Scooby Regular

so when you finnished laughing you gonna answer my question...
or dont you know??
Old 22 June 2008, 10:30 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

I'm not the best person to answer mate but I'm sure people change the boost solenoids. As for the FSE, again not entirely sure if it is better than OE but I had one fitted many years ago to my Calibra and it was worth the money
Old 22 June 2008, 11:16 PM
Badbird
Scooby Regular

Thanks Clarkie anyone else got any opinions??
Old 22 June 2008, 11:49 PM
Biffa
Scooby Newbie

Badbird.
If you have decided who you want to do your mapping, have a word with them. I’m sure they will be happy to advise you on what you will, or won’t need to do prior to your mapping.

Keith.
Old 26 June 2008, 09:00 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FSE regs don't have a very good rep on here, but I don't know how much of that is bitter experience and how much is just pub talk. Most people opt for something a bit meatier hewn out of a huge lump of metal i.e. SARD, Fuelab, SX etc. It looks like you've already got a fairly serious engine spec there so it seems very very odd that it's not mapped up for it all...unless it's just been built and dropped in very recently.

A common mod is to fit an early OE 3-port solenoid for boost control. It works.
Old 27 June 2008, 12:19 AM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Badbird
ok well the motor is a fully forged ,manley/ Mahl ect 2.5 big cams /valves/springs Ported heads Gt35 turbo Hyperflow monster fmic slightly unequal length headers. 3" sports cat system walboro pump.at present it has standerd sti inlet and map it is going for mapping soon so i need to know what will help and what will hinder the mapper,I dont know a great deal as im new to fast scoobys and i have to say that my car even with the standerd map/injectors ect is realy stupidly quick compared to what it was....v3 STI type R

With that sort of spec on that car, I would probably opt for a Apexi AVC-R, this includes a 3 port solenoid and allows a very accurate level of boost mapping, including Rpm and gear controlled boost.

New ones are knocking around on ebay for less than £300 nowadays. It would allow your mapper to setup your car finitely and exzctly to how you want it to drive on the road or track/strip.
Old 27 June 2008, 12:47 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R4LLY
With that sort of spec on that car, I would probably opt for a Apexi AVC-R, this includes a 3 port solenoid and allows a very accurate level of boost mapping, including Rpm and gear controlled boost.

New ones are knocking around on ebay for less than £300 nowadays. It would allow your mapper to setup your car finitely and exzctly to how you want it to drive on the road or track/strip.
agree.. although also depends on what ecu is going on the car.

is the turbo internal or external wastegate?

a walbro intank 255lph pump is not going to be man enough for a gt35 btw.

Simon
Old 27 June 2008, 05:54 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
a walbro intank 255lph pump is not going to be man enough for a gt35 btw.
Depends if it's a real GT35 - I've seen too many of these 'GT35's' that manage to bolt to the stock up/downpipes.

As Simon has stated it depends on the ECU being used. If it has good 3d boost control and gear compensators, like both the Simtek and Subaru ECU's, then I'd prefer the ECU having control. If it's running an ECU such as the Apexi Power FC that does not have this functionality I'd prefer an aftermarket boost controller that does, to gain the full benefit of your set-up.

FSE or stock fpr? Depends on your fuel set-up and requirements, an aftermarket FPR can make it easier to switch from series to parallel configuration and can be used to increase fuel pressure.
Old 27 June 2008, 09:02 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocom Racing
Depends if it's a real GT35 - I've seen too many of these 'GT35's' that manage to bolt to the stock up/downpipes.
very true
Old 27 June 2008, 10:34 PM
Badbird
Scooby Regular

this turbo came off tracktive solutions own car it was then sent back to owen developments to be altered for their car. they changed there mind and had that reconditioned and i brought it direct from them and they brought a new one for their car...is it real ??? and it does fit stock up and down pipes, Has garret cast in to it and when i got it it was in an owen developments box

Last edited by Badbird; 27 June 2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 27 June 2008, 11:43 PM
Badbird
Scooby Regular

Owen Developments - Online Catalogue
confused now as i read your posts i decieded to check It seems my turbo is not a gt35 The turbo i have is this one...built for subarus by owen developments but built from what??? any info..
Old 28 June 2008, 12:49 AM
Badbird
Scooby Regular

i guess this is the one anybody know anything??

SUBARU/GARRETT TURBOCHARGERS up to 500bhp

For customers who wish to enhance the road going performance of their Subaru Impreza models Owen Developments have now developed an integral wastegated turbine housing to accept the latest high performance Garrett GT Ball Bearing range of Center Housing Rotating Assembly (CHRA) turbines. The new turbine housing allows the Garrett turbocharger to be fitted to the Subarus existing inlet manifold so the change can be made with the minimum of effort for maximum performance.

Two versions are available, one delivers up to 400bhp and the other provides 430-500bhp, depending on the choice of components used.

Both versions are priced at £1,200 plus VAT.

Will my walboro pump be ok with this...430/500 version

Last edited by Badbird; 28 June 2008 at 12:57 AM.