Rebuild help !

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2008, 01:23 AM
W1ndowLicker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild help !

Hi,

Having had my MY97 Type R for a couple of months it would seem that the due to the close ratio 'box the engine didnt like 7.5K rpm @ 150mph and has developed a bottom end rattle

Luckily as I have a friend who works in a motor factors and has already rebuilt both my MR2 turbo and RX7 engines its not the horrendous calimity facing most people having to pay massive labour bills for this kind of thing.

BUT when he checks his listings for gasket sets (im doing a full rebuild while its out) it only lists normal early Impreza gasket sets, nothing different for the STI lump even though Ive seen on ebay people listing sets for specific V3 and 4 STI engines. Now does anyone know if there is a difference or wether they are just a standard early impreza set ?

Personally I wouldn't see there being a difference for just gaskets as as far as Im aware theres nothing on the STI that makes its extra power through anything gasket related but Im no expert and thats why Im here !

Any help would be much appreciated, plus any advice I should know about rebuilds from anyone else who's done one.

Cheers guys !

Last edited by W1ndowLicker; 08 June 2008 at 01:26 AM. Reason: missed a bit :)
Old 08 June 2008, 08:13 AM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by W1ndowLicker
Hi,

Having had my MY97 Type R for a couple of months it would seem that the due to the close ratio 'box the engine didnt like 7.5K rpm @ 150mph and has developed a bottom end rattle

Luckily as I have a friend who works in a motor factors and has already rebuilt both my MR2 turbo and RX7 engines its not the horrendous calimity facing most people having to pay massive labour bills for this kind of thing.

BUT when he checks his listings for gasket sets (im doing a full rebuild while its out) it only lists normal early Impreza gasket sets, nothing different for the STI lump even though Ive seen on ebay people listing sets for specific V3 and 4 STI engines. Now does anyone know if there is a difference or wether they are just a standard early impreza set ?

Personally I wouldn't see there being a difference for just gaskets as as far as Im aware theres nothing on the STI that makes its extra power through anything gasket related but Im no expert and thats why Im here !

Any help would be much appreciated, plus any advice I should know about rebuilds from anyone else who's done one.

Cheers guys !
hi mate if it's bottom end I would have thought all the normal gaskets would be ok. If however your going to do Head Gaskets while your there then I would defo use cometic with ARP head bolts, I have just done a load of research on this as my Head Gaskets have recently failed, the ARP bolt and Cometic Gaskets will hold a lot more boost without fear of the head lifting or gaskets blowing, I have a friend who has been running 2 bar through an open deck block for nearly 2 years (track days as well) and it's holding up fine!
Old 08 June 2008, 08:34 PM
W1ndowLicker
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your advice mate, much appreciated.

Can anyone confirm that this is true and the gasket sets will be the same for STI's ?