Notices

Delay in accelerating and then sudden burst of speed HELP WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2008, 01:35 AM
Mikeythebestdj
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delay in accelerating and then sudden burst of speed HELP WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?!?

Hello Everyone. I need help big time! I have an Impreza 2002 bug eye and for a while now i have been having problems when accelerating. When i put my foot down there seems to be a delay / loss of power before a sudden burst of speed and it really goes for it! it is a really intermittent problem and no one has been able to find anything wrong with it and look at me as if i am mad which is incredibility frustrating. Also a recent development is when the car is sitting at idle in traffic it seems to get the sudden feeling that it is going to stall but 'Usually' doesn't but the other day it actually cut out on me for no reason. I really need help on this one as driving the car is becoming dangerous . Could it be the coil pack? or because it is so intermittent maybe a sensor? Any suggestions are welcome please help!

Thanks everyone Michael
Old 07 June 2008, 11:22 AM
988wrx
Scooby Regular

sounds like a coilpack, does the engine vibrate alot? could also be an air leak in on of the boost hoses, have a good look.
Old 07 June 2008, 11:23 AM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

Tried replacing the fuel filter? I had erratic power delivery with a clogged fuel filter although not as severe as you described.
Old 07 June 2008, 11:28 AM
Mikeythebestdj
Scooby Newbie

Yeh it does vibrate a lot especially when at idle. That the feeling it usually give when about to stall. My dad noticed that one of the gold connectors on the pack was like a grey colour instead of the nice gold you get on the other 3. So will def have a look at that! Thanks. I will also have a look at the fuel filter. Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated

Michael
Old 07 June 2008, 12:46 PM
988wrx
Scooby Regular

if its vibrating alot its definately a coilpack, 2 packs at one side of the block are firing but at the other side one one is firing making the whole sequence very uneven and making the engine block vibrate badly.
Old 07 June 2008, 12:50 PM
Mikeythebestdj
Scooby Newbie

Thanks very much. That is good someone else thought that. I wasn't sure thought it could have been a sensor. I will go and get one on monday as i can't bare it anymore lol. Thanks again

Michael
Old 07 June 2008, 12:54 PM
988wrx
Scooby Regular

no problem, i only know this cos it happened to me, all coilpacks looked fine with no cracks but one was completely dead.
Old 07 June 2008, 02:16 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

my fuel pump went once, well gradually died, was doing that alot, does the same when nearly out of petrol, especially between 1, 2nd and sometimes 3rd. tried overtaking this really slow old biddy once and changed to 2nd just as got next to her, and it did it, she must of thought what the hell was i doing, it made me fly forwrd in my seat, all turned quiet for a second then shoots me back in my seat and charges forward! must of looked well silly, lol
Old 07 June 2008, 02:23 PM
Mikeythebestdj
Scooby Newbie

lol oh dear! the worst event i had is it nearly died on a roundabout when i was half way across lol think my friends we terrified :P. Will deff have a look at the fuel pump, as well as the coil pack cheers

Michael