Notices

Car ownership

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2008, 06:50 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car ownership

How do I find out who is the registered owner of a car?

My Ex misses sold my RS2000 to someone, a few years ago without my knowledge or consent. The car was in the process of being rebuilt and loads of spare were available.

Anyway to cut a long story short she got rid of it. and the content of my garage. At the time she claimed she didn't have the log book, but the bloke was using it for a track car.

I've since found out the car is registered back on the road, so surely a log book with my signature should have been submitted to DVLA? Or is there a way around it?

Thanks Phill
Old 04 June 2008, 07:17 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

If you own the paperwork it's legally yours... however if he has a bill of sale....

You need a proper legal eagle on this one !

I'm off now.....

DunxC
Old 04 June 2008, 07:20 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was more than pissed off about it at the time tbh. But time does make things mellower

I'd just like to contact him and see it again, was the best MK2 shell I've seen for a long time

Phill
Old 04 June 2008, 07:23 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

If the log book is your name and you can legally prove it is/was yours then you have every right to take it to the Police. Your ex-misses could be liable for theft, fraud and deception and face several serious criminal charges.

You however need to be sure of the facts and where you stand and be preparred to possible send her down and get involved in some fairly heft legal wranglings.

I seriously advise if you want to pursue this any further that you collate all the info you can and then go and see a solicitor BEFORE going to the Police.

The biggest downside is the timescale since it was sold.
Old 04 June 2008, 11:51 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

The log book does not state ownership, and anyone can fill in a form and claim a logbook for a car. The DVLA send a letter to the registered keeper if they have not been informed by them of a change of keeper, If there is no complaint they issue a new V5 of a later issue to the new applicant. I had to do this a couple of years ago when I bought a car and the keeper could not find the V5, he did have a letter but just ignored it so that the ownership transferred to me. I think your issue would be a legal case against the wife for selling without your consent and maybe compensation. But I doubt you would get the car back to be honest.