Electronic Boost Controller Question

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2008, 04:55 PM
Chrisn01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Boost Controller Question

Hiya

Toying with the idea of getting a boost controller (AEM Tru Boost). Just not sure whats involved, is it as simple as plug and play or does it require propper setting up. Now on to my second question, if it does require propper setting up, how long does that take and is it expensive to sort out? Sorry if these questions sound stupid, its just iv done a general search on ere and cant find much about them really. The one iv been thinking of getting is only basic (AEM Tru Boost Gauge Controller).

Cheers Fellas
Old 31 May 2008, 05:50 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

the apexi avc-r is the best out there, but it will need setting up by expert....that is the only downside to it , it can be set up with two boost maps ,also has a monitor for all yr engine functions.
if you dont want to splash out the cash ...i would say forget it though
Old 01 June 2008, 11:15 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Can't really see why you shouldn't get a 'basic' function unit if that is all you need. If you are after a method of changing the boost to suit the road/driving conditions etc then as long as there are safe limits set to the controller I don't see why you shouldn't get a cheaper product.
If you don't want all the extra information/data then why pay for something that you won't use ?
Just my thoughts !

Cheers

JBL
Old 01 June 2008, 11:54 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Some cheap boost controllers are not very good, as they run with the BCS wide open, (or at one max level) then only close it down after you exceed target boost, this can lead to big overboosts (and potentially engine damage) - although you can get around this by using a restrictor in the BCS to intake line to limit max achievable boost at just over max target, the Apexi has functions that more closely mimic the OE software and therefore don't (when set up correctly) overshoot to the same extreme, it can also have boost mapped against engine speed for more progression.

Simon
Old 01 June 2008, 05:27 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisn01
Hiya

Toying with the idea of getting a boost controller (AEM Tru Boost). Just not sure whats involved, is it as simple as plug and play or does it require propper setting up. Now on to my second question, if it does require propper setting up, how long does that take and is it expensive to sort out? Sorry if these questions sound stupid, its just iv done a general search on ere and cant find much about them really. The one iv been thinking of getting is only basic (AEM Tru Boost Gauge Controller).

Cheers Fellas
I have an Blitz digital controller and it's pretty easy to use once you understand what everything does, you can have 4 settings on it but in reality i only use 2 of them low and high, you can adjust the spool up as well!
Cost £400 but they are a lot cheaper now as they bought out a newer model some time ago!
Old 01 June 2008, 05:58 PM
Chrisn01
Scooby Regular

Ummm, interesting. The only thing I was worried about getting an advanced boost controller was that it would be complicated to set up hence was going to get the AEM Tru Boost. Had a quick look at an Apexi AVC sumthing? and said ist self learning. Would this mean I could simply plug it in and it would tune itself so to speak or would it still need setting up by a mapper?
Old 01 June 2008, 06:38 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisn01
Ummm, interesting. The only thing I was worried about getting an advanced boost controller was that it would be complicated to set up hence was going to get the AEM Tru Boost. Had a quick look at an Apexi AVC sumthing? and said ist self learning. Would this mean I could simply plug it in and it would tune itself so to speak or would it still need setting up by a mapper?
I think it depends on two things.

1. Are you planning on increasing or changing your current boost level?
If you dont increase the boost then you probably will get away without a remap.

2. Does the ecu control the boost level or do you have a seperate way of controlling boost?

If you raise the boost you will certainly need a remap!

If your thinking about a boost controller then I probably hazzard a guess your going to turn the boost up!

If this is the case you need to get the car mapped for whatever boost your running.

From my limited understanding the stock boost control is pretty good anyway!