Notices

Apexi AVC-R

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2008, 10:56 PM
mattster12
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi AVC-R

Just had one fitted and set up by Paul at Zen. (Thanks zen by the way)
Just wondered if it's the same as the ecutek with regard to disconnecting battery? Ecu keeps the map when battery is disconnected but does the Apexi boost controller?
Old 28 May 2008, 11:02 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

i would imagine so .......
Old 28 May 2008, 11:53 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Yes m8 it does
Old 29 May 2008, 10:09 AM
New_scooby_04

Were you pleased with your upgrade mate? Where's the review?!?!

Ns04
Old 29 May 2008, 11:23 AM
mattster12
Scooby Regular

I havn't really driven it much yet, but i will be going out later for a blast so i will post up then. One thing i did notice though was on the way home, when i floored it in 5th on the motorway a few times i could smell the clutch burning.
Does feel silly fast now though. the turbo sounds like a jet engine when its on boost
Old 29 May 2008, 11:59 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattster12
Just had one fitted and set up by Paul at Zen. (Thanks zen by the way)
Just wondered if it's the same as the ecutek with regard to disconnecting battery? Ecu keeps the map when battery is disconnected but does the Apexi boost controller?
What else did you have done? The AVCR will only give better performance when coupled with a proper re-map, at least.
Paul did mine (along with a shed load of mods) and set setting A - boost to revs., setting B boost target as 1.3bar (the run-about setting )

JohnD
Old 29 May 2008, 08:36 PM
fygtbug
Scooby Regular

when i floored it in 5th on the motorway a few times i could smell the clutch burning.
Weird comment, id have thought you would have been more concerned about noticing your clutch was actually slipping (erratic rpms) not that you can smell the burning how did you do that unless you came to standstill due to airflow?

as the other guy said what else did you have done cos you cant just bang up the boost without tuning on the ecu to match.....

Trending Topics

Old 29 May 2008, 09:38 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Perhaps the safe boost limit hasn't been exceeded, and the boost levels throughout the rev range, optimised? Isn't that what the AVC-r is supposed to do?

Not sure really, but everyone is assuming that the boost levels have been increased.
Old 29 May 2008, 10:57 PM
mattster12
Scooby Regular

i Had the avcr set up, and paul said it was running 1.4 bar boost. I also had a new remap by paul cause my previous one was on the old td04.

JohnD, What do you mean by "and set setting A - boost to revs., setting B boost target as 1.3bar (the run-about setting )" Paul did explain to me that the Apexi would allow in gear boost adjustment and also set different boost at different revs. But to be honest i don't fully understand.

Last edited by mattster12; 29 May 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 30 May 2008, 09:57 AM
New_scooby_04

i Had the avcr set up, and paul said it was running 1.4 bar boost. I also had a new remap by paul cause my previous one was on the old td04.

JohnD, What do you mean by "and set setting A - boost to revs., setting B boost target as 1.3bar (the run-about setting )" Paul did explain to me that the Apexi would allow in gear boost adjustment and also set different boost at different revs. But to be honest i don't fully understand.
Matt,

The AVCR has three boost settings (if you count 'off', which runs actuator pressure) a high boost setting "A" and a low boost setting "B". Paul has already set up the in gear compensation etc.. so don't worry about that!

Just leave it in the high boost setting and use your right foot!

BTW What's your experience of the Ksport brakes? I'm thinking of getting some in the group buy.

Ns04
Old 30 May 2008, 10:25 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Matt,

The AVCR has three boost settings (if you count 'off', which runs actuator pressure) a high boost setting "A" and a low boost setting "B". Paul has already set up the in gear compensation etc.. so don't worry about that!

Just leave it in the high boost setting and use your right foot!
Ns04
Matt
Basically, what Ns04 says above.
For normal poodling around I use setting B which restricts boost to 1.3bar - tends to be a bit more economical for everyday urban driving! (Setting A allows 1.65bar on the MD321h)
The AVC-R can be a bit confusing and the instruction book, I found, pretty awful! In "Monitor" you can't do much harm and I've played with the display options. Other than switching from setting A to B I leave all else as Paul set it.

JohnD
Old 30 May 2008, 11:24 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by JohnD
Matt
Basically, what Ns04 says above.
For normal poodling around I use setting B which restricts boost to 1.3bar - tends to be a bit more economical for everyday urban driving! (Setting A allows 1.65bar on the MD321h)
The AVC-R can be a bit confusing and the instruction book, I found, pretty awful! In "Monitor" you can't do much harm and I've played with the display options. Other than switching from setting A to B I leave all else as Paul set it.

JohnD
Yep, it's not very user friendly to the uninitiated (i.e. me!) I can cycle between display modes, but that's about it!! The instruction manual is shocking!

Ns04
Old 30 May 2008, 02:15 PM
mattster12
Scooby Regular

John D, How do you switch from setting a to setting b then? will paul have set up 2 on mine?
Old 30 May 2008, 02:18 PM
mattster12
Scooby Regular

BTW What's your experience of the Ksport brakes? I'm thinking of getting some in the group buy.

Ns04[/QUOTE]

the k sport brakes are really awesome, they are much better than the subaru 4 pots i had before. I havn't tracked them yet but have not been able to fade them, even when hammering it.
Fitting is really easy and they use ap 6pot pad pattern. Zen are running them this season over their usual of stoptech so they must be good.
Old 30 May 2008, 05:01 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

John D, How do you switch from setting a to setting b then? will paul have set up 2 on mine?
From display, press prev. until you get screen with monitor (highlighted) setting and etc.
Press down arrow to highlight setting.
Press right button to change to setting B
Press next to see boost/duty highlighted.
Press next to see what boost and solenoid duty targets have been set. (You could change these - but not before getting advice from Paul?)
Press prev. twice to get back to highlighted setting. (press right button to return to setting A if you want to run with this )
Press up button to highlight monitor.
Press next button 3 times to return to display.
Now, wasn't that fun?
You can, of course change the display items (I use boost, throttle posn. and solenoid duty) and freeze the max. values by pressing the up button - then down button to release.
If you observe the boost/solenoid in setting A you may see a series of * This shows that Paul has set boost to revs. - don't fiddle with this!

JohnD

PS You may want to print this off and sit in the car with it?
Old 30 May 2008, 05:16 PM
mattster12
Scooby Regular

setting b has got boost at 1.4 and duty at 72%.
Setting a has boost at 1.0 and duty at about 40 somthing.
Old 30 May 2008, 06:23 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

setting b has got boost at 1.4 and duty at 72%.
Setting a has boost at 1.0 and duty at about 40 somthing.
OK so B was the high boost setting. As you said the car was pulling well, I assume it was set to B? (1.4 bar is fairly high for a WRX?)

JohnD
Old 30 May 2008, 07:16 PM
mattster12
Scooby Regular

Its not a wrx i just says that on my profile. I need to change it.
Its a uk classic my00, ecutek.
When paul set it up he said he had done in gear boost settings. Its was set to b when i said it pulled well.
When you said "you may see a series of * This shows that Paul has set boost to revs." Where would the * appear? on the monitor display?

Last edited by mattster12; 30 May 2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 30 May 2008, 09:11 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Its not a wrx i just says that on my profile. I need to change it.
Its a uk classic my00, ecutek.
When paul set it up he said he had done in gear boost settings. Its was set to b when i said it pulled well.
When you said "you may see a series of * This shows that Paul has set boost to revs." Where would the * appear? on the monitor display?
With the boost/duty highlighted, press next to see what it's set to. This is where you should see the *** (stages 4 & 5) It doesn't show actual boost figure as this will vary according to revs. but as he's done gear based boost levels, it may well be that you're seeing actual target. This is where my linited knowledge of the unit becomes evident!

JohnD
Old 01 June 2008, 10:11 AM
mattster12
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that johnD, i had a look and there were * * * on the boost/duty screen.
I have noticed though that the peak boost is set to 1.4bar and when i got back from a run the highest boost on the display was showing 1.5bar
Old 06 June 2008, 11:32 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that johnD, i had a look and there were * * * on the boost/duty screen.
I have noticed though that the peak boost is set to 1.4bar and when i got back from a run the highest boost on the display was showing 1.5bar
Will depend at what rev point it set for 1.4 bar. There is an option in etc called NE points that allows you to set boost and duty cycle at these specific points. Its from main menu -> etc -> NE points (I'm going from memory). Once you select these. I think you have about 6 - 8. say 2500, 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, 5000, 5500.

Then at these specific rev points you can set figures (you can also use gearing but thats another story)

The go back to main menu (use prev button).

Then from main use boost/duty then setting A (or which ever has your highest boost settings). then select next. Go to boost (highlight it and not the ***) then click next. Here you can set the target boost you want at each of these rev points. For a simple guide. you probably want max boost coming in around 3000 rpm to about 5500. So lets say that is 1.5 (dont know car spec) set each of those points at that amount. Then ease down slowly either side so you dont overboost in low gears or at the top end.

Then once done select prev and go to duty. This is almost a reverse. You don't really want to go much above 70% duty between 3000 - 5500 (when boost also at the highest) but at the lower rev point say 2500 you could experiment with going a little higher and see how you like it. Also beyond 5500 you could up the duty as the boost is set to tail off (this will even out your acceleration much more across the band) so you get better low down response and top end acceleration too.

This I have learnt by experimentation, the manual, reading up online, etc and found the AVCR works really.

Last edited by reano; 06 June 2008 at 11:34 PM.