Dodgy Power Steering? Help and advice please

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2008, 02:14 PM
nerocircus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodgy Power Steering? Help and advice please

Hi
over the last couple weeks, when me car's cold in the morning, when I start her up and pull away whilst turning, I notice that the steering feels like it's fighting against me a little bit - a bit like a dodgem car if you know what i mean?!

It's ok when it's been going 5 minutes or so and warmed up. Could it be anything to do with power steering fluid? It looked like it could be a little low - would this be likely to cause this effect?

Could I just top it up, or is it recommened that I change it, and if so, how do I do it?

It's a MY99 by the way, dunno when the power steering fluid was last changed/topped as I've only had it a few weeks.

Cheers

What fluid would you recommend I buy?

Also,
Old 26 May 2008, 03:48 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds like steering rack..I have one mate. pm me.
Old 26 May 2008, 04:48 PM
as355f1
Scooby Regular

Or the belt is slipping
Old 27 May 2008, 09:07 AM
nerocircus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by as355f1
Or the belt is slipping
Ok, so haven't used the car over the weekend, but noticed this morning there's a canny old whining coming from it which sounds like it's probably a belt, was much worse on full lock too.

So, next question is...who'd be kind enough to post a picture showing me which belt it is in a MY99? And also, are there any adjustments on it? i.e. might it just need tightening? Or will it need a replacement. And if replacement, any advice on where to get one from. And is it a job I could do with a mate, or a garage job?

Sorry for what may be obvious questions, I'm not the most technically minded, but I get the sneaking suspicion that this car's going to help me learn...

Thanks for the help
Old 27 May 2008, 09:11 AM
barndogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nerocircus
Ok, so haven't used the car over the weekend, but noticed this morning there's a canny old whining coming from it which sounds like it's probably a belt, was much worse on full lock too.

So, next question is...who'd be kind enough to post a picture showing me which belt it is in a MY99? And also, are there any adjustments on it? i.e. might it just need tightening? Or will it need a replacement. And if replacement, any advice on where to get one from. And is it a job I could do with a mate, or a garage job?

Sorry for what may be obvious questions, I'm not the most technically minded, but I get the sneaking suspicion that this car's going to help me learn...

Thanks for the help
If its whining on full lock it could be the pump?
Old 27 May 2008, 09:19 AM
nerocircus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barndogg
If its whining on full lock it could be the pump?
not just on full lock, it was doing it for a couple minutes when stationary, just noticed that once it had died away, it also did it a little on full lock.
Old 27 May 2008, 03:37 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

hey mine does the same, I dont know when the belt was last changed or car serviced. Ive also started to get a werid noise like wineing. Im going to see if its loose then change it, there on ebay for £35. When i turn mine the battary and warning go mental yours the same?
Old 27 May 2008, 04:41 PM
nerocircus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flashgordon666
hey mine does the same, I dont know when the belt was last changed or car serviced. Ive also started to get a werid noise like wineing. Im going to see if its loose then change it, there on ebay for £35. When i turn mine the battary and warning go mental yours the same?
Can't say I've noticed the lights doing owt funny, but I'll certainly look more closely next time!

can you post a link to the belt on ebay please mate?
Old 27 May 2008, 07:13 PM
as355f1
Scooby Regular

Don't bother changing the belt just adjust the tensioner up to see if that solves it, its just in front of the cam belt cover, 2 min job
Old 28 May 2008, 03:40 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by as355f1
Don't bother changing the belt just adjust the tensioner up to see if that solves it, its just in front of the cam belt cover, 2 min job
ill try that,

heres how to change a belt with the tentioner thing guy said above.
YouTube - Changing a subaru impreza timingbelt cambelt

SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO (93-00) DAYCO CAM BELT BRAND NEW on eBay, also, Subaru, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 05-Jun-08 12:39:47 BST)
Old 30 May 2008, 01:11 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

Ive had a look at the belts you can see on the pic and they arent loose only 1cm movement in them. So could the be the one covered?
There is wear on the best as you can see in the pic, could this be it and should it be changed? What belt is it called. Far one in.

Last edited by flashgordon666; 30 May 2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05 August 2008, 02:24 PM
ulsterscooby
Scooby Regular

Location: Way out in front!!, wheels spinnin, flame spittin, turbo spoolin!!! --- Go home love, nobody cares!

The inside belt going to the right is the aircon belt the outer belt drives the power steering and altenator