Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2008, 11:02 AM
Semper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's Busted! Help!

Car
2007 WRX - 20g - APS TMIC - Typhoon intake - AndyF remap

Few weeks ago I noticed lots of blue/white smoke coming from the car and a lack of power. Took it to a garage who tightened up the actuator, oil/filter change (oil was low), plugs, cleaned the TMIC. Smoke stopped, started boosting properly. Sorted.

Arranged to get a catch tank fitted. Got that done (few pipework issues I'm not satisfied with).

Still had smoke 100 miles later, so something amiss. Was almost kicked out of the tyne tunnel this morning due to smoke. Looked like I was driving an old diesel. Lifted the bonnet, nowt to be seen apart from the smoke coming from the vent pipe of catch tank.

Bonnet down and back on the road. Got to work and noticed oil/water/emulsion and smoke now coming from scoop. Lifted the bonnet. Oh dear. Oil all over the shop, breather pipe from TMIC had blown off and spat oil everywhere and dip stick had been pushed out! Gutted. Still smoking from exhaust.

Just don't know where to go from here. I'm stuck at work with a broken car. No/low oil in. Been told it may be bottom end damage. Lifted the filler cap and there's a pulsing pt...pt...pt...pt of air coming out.

Sorry for essay! Anyone help?

To Do - Compression check, fill oil, secure pipes...
Old 22 May 2008, 11:50 AM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound as bad as bottom end damage. Which breather goes to the TMIC, haven't heard of one going there?

There's always air coming out of the filler cap because some air escapes past the pistons. Although yours does sound excessive.

At worst I'd say it's worn/damamged piston rings, at best your breather system is somehow messed up. When I vented my breathers to atmosphere; for some strange reason, the car leaked oil from multiple seals within 20 minutes of starting it. I replaced seals and put breathers back into intake, no problems at all after that.

The compression check will definitely tell you if it's the piston rings. Just keep checking the oil level every so often because running with no oil might cause bottom end damage.
Old 22 May 2008, 01:02 PM
Semper
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your response. Fingers crossed it's nowt too sinister. With my luck however, doesn't look as though I'll be going on holiday next month! Joy!
Old 22 May 2008, 09:46 PM
as355f1
Scooby Regular

is it not covered under manufactures warranty as its a 2007 ?
Old 22 May 2008, 10:32 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by as355f1
is it not covered under manufactures warranty as its a 2007 ?
2007 WRX - 20g - APS TMIC - Typhoon intake - AndyF remap
Not with that fitted dude. Maybe it's worth sticking back to standard and seeing a Dealer sounds like back pressure from the cylinders to me.
Old 22 May 2008, 11:17 PM
as355f1
Scooby Regular

i would or its going to cost him at least a couple of k, i think its got a holed piston

Last edited by as355f1; 22 May 2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 23 May 2008, 11:27 AM
philS scooby
Scooby Regular

just a quik one sorry for using your post, i did a compression test on mine and all 4 are right down, so much the car wnt start, before this i couldnt go above 2000 rpm n it wouldnt boost, is this more likly to be rings than pistins and the whole bottom end.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:34 AM
DB07P1
Scooby Regular

sorry to steal your thread matey,just iv recently done a compression test on my cylinders and 3 were down but car still ticks over fine etc,soon as u put it on boost it chucks water out..head gasket problem?
hope u get yours sorted semper
Old 23 May 2008, 11:37 AM
Semper
Scooby Regular

Mine is still boosting well. Well, it was last night. It's now in the garage being diagnosed.