Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2008, 10:34 AM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 UK Impreza, standard DV fitting, help please

Hi,
I have a 1999 UK Impreza,

It currently has a baileys VTA dump valve fitted, the recirc pipe runs along the back of the engine, just past the DV and has a small piece of samco hose and a bung fitted to the end.

I have just got hold of a standard recirc DV and wish to replace the baileys. (The DV fits straight onto the intercooler).

My question is about the recirc pipe. It appears to be a long hard pipe running across the back of the engine with slight bend at the end. It does not run up to the DV (it may have been wedged out of the way).

Should this pipe run straight to the DV or should there be another flexable pipe on the end running to the DV. If it runs straight to the DV then i imagine the DV should be fitted with the large hole facing down towards the engine. Or should it be fitted with the large hole facing up and away from the engine, thus needing a long flexable pipe to the recirc pipe.

Sorry if this is confusing, if anyone has a pic of the standard set up i would appreciate it,

Many thanks
Matt
Old 22 May 2008, 10:46 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The dv bolts directly on to the intercooler with the large hole facing down and needs a rubber or silicone pipe to attach it to the metal pipe running at the back of the engine. That is how it is fitted as standard.

Banny
Old 22 May 2008, 11:02 AM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Thanks banny,
I have seen other pics of modded cars and the DV seems to be fitted the other way round with a samco type u shaped hose leading up from it, then back round to the solid recirc pipe. Is this just because they are modded.

It looks really awkward trying to fit the solid pipe to the bottom of the DV as you describe, but if this is how iit should be then i am keen to do it.

Thanks
Matt
Old 22 May 2008, 11:09 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

That maybe on the pre 99 cars where the dv does not bolt directly on to the intercooler rather sits off it using a pipe.
You will notice when you fit the standard dv that it will only fit with the opening facing down.

Banny

Last edited by banny sti; 22 May 2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 22 May 2008, 11:11 AM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Cheers Banny, your a star
Old 22 May 2008, 02:40 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

if you look at a samco V5/6 sti IC hose kit you will see the hose you need it is a u shape. Samco hose kit has 3 parts.
ken
Old 22 May 2008, 04:26 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXMATT
Thanks banny,
I have seen other pics of modded cars and the DV seems to be fitted the other way round with a samco type u shaped hose leading up from it, then back round to the solid recirc pipe. Is this just because they are modded.

It looks really awkward trying to fit the solid pipe to the bottom of the DV as you describe, but if this is how iit should be then i am keen to do it.

Thanks
Matt
You are correct Matt, the DV on a 99 car fits directly onto the intercooler and the exit pipe faces upwards at the 2 O clock position, the rubber hose then leads upwards before comming back on it's self to meet the metal pipe under the inlet manifold.

Phil
Old 22 May 2008, 06:54 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Thanks Phil,
i was looking at it again and there is no way the solid pipe at the back of the engine will go to the dump valve, i guess i need that rubber pipe pipe then.

Cheers for your help
Matt