Squeak from rear break when cornering

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2008, 04:32 PM
GeoffA
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak from rear break when cornering

Hello,

I have just purchase a 97 impreza turbo wagon with 95k on the clock. When I brought it, I knew the rear brakes were 99% worn (highlighted at the last Subaru service). I drove the car for a couple of weeks, and they made a noise when driving (which I guess was the wear indicatiors). Last week they started to grind, so I changed the rear disks and pads at the weekend.

Ever since, I have a squeak from the rear offside wheel when cornering hard right (can hear it at low speeds with the passanger window open). I suspected the real wheel bearing, so jacked it up and gave it a shake - I could not feel any play...

Does anyone have any idea what this may be?

Any help appreciated
Geoff
Old 21 May 2008, 05:14 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

As long as you are sure that the rear wheel is mounting properly and the mounting faces are clean, then it does sound like a rear wheel bearing I'm afraid.

The exact same symptoms led to the discovery of my front wheel bearing being worn out on my old Pug 205.

You trying to wobble the wheel will not induce the same amount of stress as cornering hard.
Old 22 May 2008, 10:56 AM
GeoffA
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the help - much appreciated.

Does any one know how long it will last...is it safe to leave it till it squeaks all the time, then change it? It did not squak this morning, so I want to make 100% sure it is the bearing before I pay to get it replaced...

Is it worth attempting this job myself. I have done a bit of research and it looks like a special press would be needed.

Any advice on makeing this job cheaper would be much appreciated...
Old 24 May 2008, 09:25 PM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

I have changed a front wheel bearing on a different type of car using nothing more than a lump hammer and large socket. Not really recommended though. It was cheap.

The best way is a press as you suggest. The job may be able to be completed using a large bench vice. I usually find though that getting an old bearing out is difficult using this method (rust and age etc). Getting the new one in using a vice and some copper slip is much easier though.

As your symptoms are the disc rubbing when cornering, then I suggest that it's best to change sooner rather than later. I doubt it will fail catastophically but it could cause further damage to other bits such as the hub etc incurring more expense.

Any decent garage should be able to do it, or indeed anyone with a press. You could save a bit of cash by sourcing the bearing yourself and then paying for the labour. Perhaps even taking the whole thing apart yourself and then asking a friendly garage to remove and fit your new bearing. Might cost you £20 for their trouble but still much cheaper.

It's all nuts and bolts, nothing overly complicated, but things (hub nuts) can be tight so a decent breaker bar is a worthwhile investment. Ensure you scratch marks in everything that will need re aligning when you assemble (ie rear strut and hub carrier) to ensure your geometry is as good as possible. Still worth a professional check afterwards though to ensure all is well.

Personally, this is the route I'd take, but then my car is a weekend toy and I've got a fair bit of mechanical experience behind me. You have to start somewhere though. My first ever diy job was a cambelt on a 205 GTi, absolute piece of **** and from that day on, I've never taken my cars to a garge for work.