Superchip removal advice please

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2008, 10:51 AM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superchip removal advice please

Hi,
I am going to do this on my car 1999 UK impreza turbo.
I have looked at the ECU area. I have a seperate balck box with superchip ABC on it and red, black, green and yellow wires coming from it.
Here are some pics of the chip which may help:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...t/Image004.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...t/Image003.jpg

Also on it is a wiring diagram- black and red are the power and are attached to two wires going into the ECU (power wires i believe), i imagine these can just be removed without affecting the ecu.

The green one says ECU - on it and is soldered to a yellow wire that goes into the ECU housing.

The yellow one says MAP + on it and is soldered to a yellow wire that goes back into the loom.

By the looks of it, originally the yellow wire coming from the ECU to the loom(MAP) has been cut and the superchip bypasses this with its yellow and green wires. Does this mean i can remove the superchip and just reconnect the yellow wire from the loom to the ECU.

It also has a bleed valve on the pipe from the actuator/turbo outlet to the solanoid. Should i just remove this and replace the pipe once i have taken the superchip off.

Many thanks,
Matt
Old 21 May 2008, 10:58 AM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

As the Superchip is a 'piggy-back' device, you should just be able to remove it and resolder the wires where they were, and take out the bleed valve (some sort of crude boost controller I think) like you said.
Before doing anything with the ECU, disconnect the battery and remove the plugs from the ECU so you can work on the wires without any chance of fecking it up!

When you have finished replacing everything, leave the battery disconnected for at least 20 mins. This will allow the ECU to clear its memory and reset, then it will re-learn all its parameters from scratch.

Slim

Last edited by slimnotshady; 21 May 2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 21 May 2008, 11:03 AM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Thanks slimnotshady,
I'm suprised to see how much of a simple device that superchip is, it was on it when i bought the car, just glad i didn't spend all the money on getting it fitted
Old 21 May 2008, 11:06 AM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Oh if anyone wants my superchip ABC and the bleed valve let me know. Good condition and car runs perfectly with it fitted.

I just want my car back to standard so am changing all the mods back.