Notices

Down pipe fitting to a classic?????

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2008, 07:29 PM
VTR steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down pipe fitting to a classic?????

Is this a difficult job?

Gonna get one soon and was toying with fitting it myself. Got a 98 uk classic which has got a Magnex de cat centre and back box so would be rude not to do the downpipe to. Is there anything that i need to look out for apart from the obvious. I am pretty compitant when it comes to working on cars (did a full engine rebuild on my RST in my front room) but never worked on this type of engine before apart from oil changes. Any tips welcome
Old 14 May 2008, 07:35 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

From what ive seen this will be a easy fit, as long as you have the right lenght, one thing to look for is where the down pipe meets the turbo, ensure its not an eclosed gap, as on the standard pipe the outlet is only small not allowing a proper free flow. You could probably get it fitted for about £200 from Reads racing in newport as they are the ones that have advised me and are a very good garage. Hope the above makes sense not the best with explaining. If you need any more explanation please ask
Old 14 May 2008, 07:41 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

its a pretty easy job, worst problem is siezed bolts on the heatshield. You need to be careful not to round the nuts on the downpipe/turbo they can be a pain, some wd40 will help.
Old 14 May 2008, 07:42 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Should be a doddle if you've done an RST rebuild.
I've done mine a couple off times, and reckon I can have it off within half hour now, the downpipe that is
Ramps really make it easier though.
Old 14 May 2008, 07:55 PM
VTR steve
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys gonna give it a go cannot be as bad as the RST rebuild (did get 198bhp in the end though )Looks like lots of WD the night before
Old 14 May 2008, 10:04 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

Id also replace all nuts and bolts while you have them out, which is what i did, they are cheap to replace and help at a later date should you need to replace the cat for the MOT, I also covered mine with copper grease to prevent them rusting together
Old 14 May 2008, 10:17 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Hi, did mine on my classic RA couple months back,and as mentioned the worst part was the heat shield.I can't understand why it had quite so many bolts holding it on?
Get youself a ratchet ring spanner,10mm if i remember,as there's a couple of tricky bolts at the bottom of the heat shield.
Also,make sure the down pipe mates with the centre section first.Mine has an after market system which is designed to fit to the cat's ball fixing,which my new d/p didn't have.
You won't regret it,instant noticeable power hike,and sounds nice to!