Notices

TD04 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2008, 11:19 AM
sc00by_d00
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TD04 Upgrade

Is a TD05 (either 16G or 20G) a straight bolt on replacement for the TD04?

Would it be considered "safe" to run the TD05 with a few other supporting mods until a remap?

Thanks
Old 14 May 2008, 11:30 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Persionally i think it would be very stupid to run an uprated turbo (no matter what supporting mods you have) without remapping it.
Old 14 May 2008, 11:57 AM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

It is possible to drive the car off boost but this is only advised to get you to the mappers. Hatch a plan so that when the mods are complete you can have it remapped without delay!!

Dont risk driving it around unmapped.

Mike
Old 14 May 2008, 11:57 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by sc00by_d00
Is a TD05 (either 16G or 20G) a straight bolt on replacement for the TD04?

Would it be considered "safe" to run the TD05 with a few other supporting mods until a remap?

Thanks
Its not quite as simple as just strapping on a larger turbo mate, (but yes, if you get one from Andy F machined for the right kind of entry they are "bolt on" I guess) you'll need a raft of supporting mods to get the best out of it The specific mods depend on which turbo you intend to run; there is a big difference between a 16 and 20G.

You can run the car on a bigger turbo without a remap, but you'd need to keep it off boost, or chances are you'll melt a piston! The car will also run poorly (mine was as flat as a pancake on the drive from getting the mods installed to the mapper's house). Certainly not something I'd have been happy living with for any period of time!

It's much better (and safer) to get the mods and the mapping done one after the after!

Ns04
Old 14 May 2008, 12:36 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
You can run the car on a bigger turbo without a remap, but you'd need to keep it off boost, or chances are you'll melt a piston!
No reason why you would melt a piston, boost will be controlled to the same level, the airflow will only increase slightly due to having a smaller residual gas fraction (lower backpressure from larger turbine housing/turbine) and the airflow is measured so the AFR will be the same as before (too rich if yours isn't mapped on the TD04), however you will get far from the best out of it!

Simon
Old 14 May 2008, 12:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by The rookie
No reason why you would melt a piston, boost will be controlled to the same level, the airflow will only increase slightly due to having a smaller residual gas fraction (lower backpressure from larger turbine housing/turbine) and the airflow is measured so the AFR will be the same as before (too rich if yours isn't mapped on the TD04), however you will get far from the best out of it!

Simon
Interesting: I do know of one example of a mate with an 02 WRX that went from a TD04 to a 18G (with supporting mods) and had a sneaky poke of the accelerator only to witness his knocklink light up like a xmas tree!

I would have thought the increased airflow from the much larger turbo would shift the AFR outside of the unmapped ECUs capacity to accommodate? TD04 to 20g would be a mighty jump!!

Ns04
Old 14 May 2008, 01:01 PM
sc00by_d00
Scooby Regular

thanks guys. i was only going to consider putting in the TD05 and driving it to the mappers off boost....
Old 14 May 2008, 01:09 PM
New_scooby_04

thanks guys. i was only going to consider putting in the TD05 and driving it to the mappers off boost....
That's ok!
Old 14 May 2008, 03:47 PM
RB5Caterham
Scooby Regular

I did the same went from a TD04 to an Andy F 16G on my UKMY99. Only other thing I changed was an uprated Walbro 255ltr Fuel Pump. Then went off to get it mapped by Pat Herborn.

You dont need lots of supporting mods, full-decat would be nice though.

Agree with the others best to do it nearer the mapping date or do it and just dont drive it.

Have moved on a bit since then in regards to supporting mods and now kinda maxed out with the 16G.
Old 14 May 2008, 04:00 PM
sc00by_d00
Scooby Regular

Ive got a walbro 255, induction kit, full stainless from turbo back including the removal of both cats and will be fitting a FMIC shortly. After this, i plan on taking it to a local mapper (when ive found one in my region/area) and get the TD05 put on and a remap for MY00 Impreza.
Old 14 May 2008, 04:05 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

This is an interesting topic as I just bought a subaru with a td05 turbo, and not sure if any mods have been done, but I now have np pressure on the 4th piston, not sure what the damage is but could be very likely its the turbo. but why would it melt the piston as surely the ECU will limit boost etc?
Old 14 May 2008, 04:18 PM
RB5Caterham
Scooby Regular

Ive got a walbro 255, induction kit, full stainless from turbo back including the removal of both cats and will be fitting a FMIC shortly. After this, i plan on taking it to a local mapper (when ive found one in my region/area) and get the TD05 put on and a remap for MY00 Impreza.
Sounds good mate. Where you based? There are some well known mappers that are worth travelling to.

I added the following "supporting mods" to my 16G after running as above for about a year.

GGR Induction Kit
PE 550 Injectors
Fuel Lab FPR
Hybrid FMIC
Harvey Smith Ported Headers/Matched Uppipe.
Remapped by Bob Rawle.

Recent RR day produced 341.9BHP. Thats if you believe RR's.
Old 14 May 2008, 04:21 PM
RB5Caterham
Scooby Regular

Just seen your profile, Somerset. Well Bob Rawle is not that far away in Swindon?

Defo worth travelling for his skills.
Old 14 May 2008, 04:28 PM
RB5Caterham
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davmcc75
This is an interesting topic as I just bought a subaru with a td05 turbo, and not sure if any mods have been done, but I now have np pressure on the 4th piston, not sure what the damage is but could be very likely its the turbo. but why would it melt the piston as surely the ECU will limit boost etc?
Its not necessarily the turbo that would cause the damage. Its more likely the detonation that may occur if you decide to put one on and not have it mapped proprely and start driving hard with it.

The extra air being pushed in by the turbo may cause it to run lean, cause fueling issues, in turn perhaps cause detonation which in turn may damage the engine.

The boost profile will change, it'll be all over the place I'd guess.

I'm no expert on these matters.
Old 14 May 2008, 04:45 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by RB5Caterham
Its not necessarily the turbo that would cause the damage. Its more likely the detonation that may occur if you decide to put one on and not have it mapped proprely and start driving hard with it.

The extra air being pushed in by the turbo may cause it to run lean, cause fueling issues, in turn perhaps cause detonation which in turn may damage the engine.

The boost profile will change, it'll be all over the place I'd guess.

I'm no expert on these matters.
That was my understanding too!

It's not that the bigger turbo means more boost, but it pushes more air, hence more fuel is required in the mix; the ECU has the ability to adapt, but only to a certain extent- it's been configured to cope with variations in running parameters associated with the std spec, afteral! It certainly wouldn't be expecting a much bigger turbo! The TD04 map was utterly wrong for my VF35, the car was just flat as a pancake (and that's a smaller turbo than the TD05 series.

Ns04
Old 14 May 2008, 05:08 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

could you purchase an ECU from a car that used the tdo5 turbo originally and replace the current one on the subaru which started on the td04 turbo. or will this cause as many problems?
Old 14 May 2008, 05:14 PM
RB5Caterham
Scooby Regular

TD05 were standard on the MY93 - 96 Scoobs so the ECU wont go into a MY99-00.

He could find someone selling a MY99-00 ECU which has been remapped with the exact mods he has TD05, full-decat, fuel pump etc and that might be an option.

Again, I'd want peace of mind with even doing that and would ask a mapper to check it over to be safe.

But with the cost of the modded ECU and the mappers time, it may only be a small saving over having his own ECU mapped in the first place.
Old 14 May 2008, 05:21 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

im having a new engine refitted for fri but the TD05 turbo will be refitted and I wont have time to do the re-map straight away do you think it would be ok on a motorway run towards london from wales without the re-map. Do not want to blow a second engine just after having it fitted. the garage etc say it will be ok. Also what is a good price for a re-map the garage my car is in has qouted £350 to do it on my return and £200 for the decat down pipe. is that the normal price
Old 14 May 2008, 05:25 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Interesting thread - out of interest, what is the view on upgrading a TD04 to either TD05 or VF35 - pros and cons. In my case, I have a MY98 with Apexi already fitted and mapped for the TD04
Old 14 May 2008, 05:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Keith Collings
Interesting thread - out of interest, what is the view on upgrading a TD04 to either TD05 or VF35 - pros and cons. In my case, I have a MY98 with Apexi already fitted and mapped for the TD04
If done with the supporting mods, it's a VERY good upgrade!

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...xperience.html
Old 14 May 2008, 05:40 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

whats the supporting upgrades?
Old 14 May 2008, 05:48 PM
RB5Caterham
Scooby Regular

im having a new engine refitted for fri but the TD05 turbo will be refitted and I wont have time to do the re-map straight away do you think it would be ok on a motorway run towards london from wales without the re-map. Do not want to blow a second engine just after having it fitted. the garage etc say it will be ok. Also what is a good price for a re-map the garage my car is in has qouted £350 to do it on my return and £200 for the decat down pipe. is that the normal price
You'll be fine mate just drive it off boost and dont try and pull out quickly out of junctions etc you dont want to boost at all.

I had my TD05 16G fitted, went all the way home (50 mile motorway journey). Left the car for a week and then drove back there to have it mapped. Just have to be very sensible and patient.

£350 seems cheap for a remap, usually ECUTEK mappings go for £500 - £550 + VAT. Do a search on here, you'll soon find out who the popular mappers are. See if the person doing yours is one of them!
Old 14 May 2008, 06:39 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

with mine i did the td05 and exhaust first and about a month later did the rest of mods.
had remap done a few weeks after that with no problems,just removed the boost control vac pipe from turbo and wastegate and connected a temp vac pipe from nipple on compressor housing to wastegate actuator so boost was maxing out at 0.6bar.
when at mappers put the original pipework back on.
Old 14 May 2008, 06:58 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

Ill have to make an appointment so it can be done when I get back then, ill just drive easily and make sure i dont over do it, thanks for the advice. This is turning out to be an expensive car, but im sure it will be worth it
Old 15 May 2008, 09:46 AM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

someone has just told me my wrx 1996 would come with the TD05 turbo as standard, I was told it was an upgrade... would anyone be able to confirm this for me?

would be greatly appreciated
Old 15 May 2008, 10:35 AM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

Yes yours came with the TD05 as standard, so all this was for nothing, haha.

I owuld definatly look at uprating the intercooler if your still on the slanty top mount.

Mike

Last edited by Shmerman; 15 May 2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 15 May 2008, 10:43 AM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

yes it still has the slanty top mount, someone mentioned that what would you recommend
Old 15 May 2008, 10:56 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

yes it still has the slanty top mount, someone mentioned that what would you recommend
Late model tmics will fit with a bit of work a fmic is a much simpler replacemnt imo but it depends what you want from your car..
Old 15 May 2008, 11:02 AM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

to be honest i wont be doing to much to this Subaru its my first one, and I would just like to spend a bit of time learning the cars. Plus Im coming out of a rover coupe turbo which is quick in its own right but felt nothing like the subaru when it was going.
Old 15 May 2008, 11:05 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

In that case leave it you still have about 260ps to hoon around with.

Will say 2 pot brakes are ****e and it will understeer horribly if you push it to hard.

Quick Reply: TD04 Upgrade