Notices

STi 3/4 cams - scrap or not?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2008, 09:28 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STi 3/4 cams - scrap or not?

Just got a pair of STi 3/4 heads very cheap, but the left hand cams have been wrenched out at some point and the thrust flange close to the pulley end has basically snapped off, on both cams. What a bodge. You can see the remnants sitting here in the bearing surface in the head:

And here's the shocking sight of a pair of STi cams wrecked by some gibbon. The remains of the flanges are actually very slightly bent as well, so they were definitely levered out and then snapped.

So, the question is; are they scrap or can I fix them in some way? It might sound stupid, but could I break out the Chemical Metal to fix these flanges or should I start looking for a new pair of cams, if not a complete set of four if that's all I can get? BTW I do not have all of the broken off bits, only some.

Last edited by silent running; 14 May 2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 14 May 2008, 08:22 AM
Legacy_Turbo_EJ22G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They`re broken. Very, and I mean very hard to fix cams with that. Can`t really weld either, and "glueing" them together wouldn`t work. Atleast not for long.

I`ve got a set of V3\4 STi cams, but I`ll only sell it as a set.

BTW, the bearing surface in the right hand corner seems fooked? Also, looks like it got scratches on one of the cams?
Old 14 May 2008, 11:17 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Car could have taken a front impact? Might not have the same pulleys on it? I'd double check head castings and valves for damage too.
Old 14 May 2008, 07:34 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Well I'm about to have a better look at the heads. I'm hoping that the only damage is to the cams themselves and the head is OK. I admit that that bearing surface does look rough. I'll take some better pictures. How do I go about dismantling the valvetrain to check the valves then? Any tips?

Oh BTW LegacyTurboEJ22G, can you PM me how much you want for your set? Cheers!
Old 15 May 2008, 07:59 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Remove the bucket and shim, get a good quality valve spring compressor, wind the retainer down with the compressor until the collets are visible and removeable then just pick them out. A small magnet on a stick is ideal for this.

Then just remove the compressor and retainer and push the valve out.

I have repaired cams like this before (although not subaru) by turning the thrust feature off then making some interference fit collars that are the same width as the thrust flange and pressing them on, although to be fair that flange looks as though there is not enough meat left to be able to do this.

It's quite a skilled job though and you need to know what you are doing.

Give these guys a call, great bunch of engineers and they can repair almost anything....

http://www.sep-kegworth.co.uk/page1.htm
Old 15 May 2008, 06:40 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Great idea , I didn't think there was any hope for them, but having looked more carefully at the head and cams now, the bearing surfaces and journals are pretty well ploughed up and the cam journals measure up noticeably undersize. I've therefore arranged to return the whole lot to the seller. Unless someone wants to make me an offer for them?