Notices

Gauges questions, help please

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2008, 03:21 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gauges questions, help please

Novice on subject of gauges etc & need some advice please.
Im not too keen on too many gauges & large gauges, hence I am looking for 50/52mm gauges, max of 3, ideally 2. Want boost gauge / oil temp/ & maybe oil pressure. I am thinking of 2 x 52mm single pods on centre or right hand side of dash or on A-pillar.

1)Does my Hawkeye SpecC have an oil pressure warning light on dash? If so then is it still neccesary to get an oil pressure gauge?

2)Are the A pillar pods all 60mm with inserts for 52mm or can you get smaller
52mm specefic?

3)Do these 2 or 3 A pillar pods restrict visibility around A-pillar i.e pedestrians etc at junctions?

4)Im assuming the pods themselves increase the overall size/bulk of guages which may not help visibility.
-Can the gauges be mounted on A-pillar without pods to make them more discreet & less bulky. The advantage of this is also that you could space them closer together maybe, as with pods you are forced to have them a certain distnace apart?
-Is there a simple bracket for this?

5)If mounting two pods above steering column on either side, above stalks, can you still see the dash clocks etc & is it easy to fix here?

6) I am thinking of getting the Prosport Stepper (Amber) Gauges from Xyber Autos. Are these gauges Electric which I assume are the better type than vacum?
XyberAutos
Do I need anything else to fit these?

ps would love Defis or Genome but too much £££££s

Last edited by rickya; 04 May 2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05 May 2008, 10:04 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I have mine (52mm) sitting on top of centre dash in mounting cup, the pic below shows oil temp and boost. I've just added matching oil pressure (scoobs do have warning light, but it's the kind that lights when it's too late..!) So I now have the three and they look better, matching dash and heater controls..

A nice retro look if you ask me.

I went for defi's simply because they matched the dash the best. On a spec c it has to be amber, which seem to be getting hard to get hold of (defi have discontinued a lot of their range..)

IMHO A pillar mounts are too close to the driver, meaning you're eye's have refocus more..

I'm with you about the 60mm and bigger gauges being OTT, also all of the centre pods I've seen are massive..!

Mounting on the column does obscure some of the dash, depends on how tall/short you are..

Have you though about getting a combined digital gauge, oil temp/pressure..? Not sure if you can get oil/boost however..

Try searching for a recent thread called something like 'show us your gauges' as a lot of members posted pics of their installs..

Old 06 May 2008, 11:01 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I have one of these,(2" GAUGE POD TO FIT IN STANDARD RADIO SLOT (3 GAUGE ) on eBay, also Dial, Dash Switch Custom'n, Interior Styling, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 15-May-08 21:06:35 BST)) they are very neat and tidy if you happen to have a spare DIN
Old 06 May 2008, 01:58 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Why dont you write the same as everyone else??????, gets annoying that.

Mac
Old 06 May 2008, 02:47 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
Why dont you write the same as everyone else??????, gets annoying that.

Mac

Why dont you drive the same car as everyone else, live in the same house as everyone else, dress the same as everyone else O yeah thats right, coz you dont want to. Its called freedom of choice. The options are there to be used, Clone
Old 06 May 2008, 03:31 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Jasionus, thanks for input & help mate
I have just ordered the 52mm Prosport Elec Steppers from XyberAutos, set of 3 inc all bits & delivery for £118. They can be amber or white, Il wire them up amber to match dials. So just need to choose a triple centre dash pod, as gone off the idea of A pillar pods. Most probably go with JW Racing angled triple dash pod I think.

B13bat: That pod your selling does go underneath my single din headunit where there is an empty compartment. Or do I have to take out headunit altogether?

Last edited by rickya; 06 May 2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06 May 2008, 04:14 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
B13bat: That pod your selling does go underneath my single din headunit where there is an empty compartment. Or do I have to take out headunit altogether?
I'm not selling, just put the link up for ya It just slots in your spare DIN slot, only reason to remove your head unit would be to wire and plumb the gauges and then refit. Hth

Trending Topics

Old 06 May 2008, 05:06 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Thats a great find b13bat Never knew they existed & its exactly what I was looking for, something very discreet & flush. Also always hated that silly cubby hole under headunit & a lot cheaper than £70 on a triple pod !

Though I will lower the headunit & have the gauges above it

Last edited by rickya; 06 May 2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06 May 2008, 09:10 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Like this

Be warned, it may say its a single DIN, but a single DIN slot is only 50mm high, its a bit difficult to fit 52mm gauges in there...impossible infact. I had to move my 2nd DIN down 10mm for this to fit, which basically means you have to lose 10mm somewhere in the centre console, fine if you can do it, but don't buy one thinking it will slot straight into the 2nd DIN because it won't. You need a gap of 60mm.
Old 06 May 2008, 09:23 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Be warned, it may say its a single DIN, but a single DIN slot is only 50mm high, its a bit difficult to fit 52mm gauges in there...impossible infact. I had to move my 2nd DIN down 10mm for this to fit, which basically means you have to lose 10mm somewhere in the centre console, fine if you can do it, but don't buy one thinking it will slot straight into the 2nd DIN because it won't. You need a gap of 60mm.
Cheers Jay

Looks like its back to the drawing board then for pods

May just wait for gauges to arrive & see if I can try & fabricate something from somewhere or I may just buy the above single din pod & try hacking it up a bit
Old 06 May 2008, 09:40 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Cheers Jay

Looks like its back to the drawing board then for pods

May just wait for gauges to arrive & see if I can try & fabricate something from somewhere or I may just buy the above single din pod & try hacking it up a bit
Mine fitted fine, no mods . Never thought of the actual size of a DIN slot but 50mm is correct so it shouldn't work What if you have a vehicle with a less 'flixible' dash Any how had another look round and came up with these, i'll be having me a set of these me thinks

Defi - DIN-Gauge

p.s Just googled 'din gauges' and they must fit. The amount of different ones available and none mention having to modify the DIN slot for it/them to fit!

Last edited by Glowplug; 06 May 2008 at 10:17 PM.