Camshaft end float 2.0 na

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2008, 10:40 PM
Scooby555Chris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft end float 2.0 na

howdi...

well i thought i'd just "bob" a new timing belt on tday...and oh yes...you knew it.....grimness

someones been here before but not in a good way....timing of cams to crank...out....i'm well impressed with the chisel marks on the pulleys seen as they obv dont know how to time a scoob up....

a washer fell out of covers...should be behind tensioner bolt i think..can anyone confirm..rings a bell for me..

and on the right bank..from sat in car..left bank from front....i have cam end float....took cover off, rockers off, cam end float jobby off...
camshaft out....no obvious wear or problems on cam or head but i cant remember ever having any of this on my prev rebuilds....anyone experienced had at all..

also crank seal leaking...cam seals are rock hard so pulled them out too..

now have a sat morning mission to sort bits and recitfy...

why oh why...do people not just do stuff correctly...

just intrigued by the camshaft end float....i have no bad marks on any surfaces or problems....but its there...and im unsure why. this engine has been stripped and rebuilt previously.

any knowledge etc gratefully received.

p.s its an early 2.0na 97 runabout..not quad cam just double cam.

regards chris
Old 02 May 2008, 10:47 PM
mark28
Scooby Regular

Location: "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...Now that's what gets you."

how much movement do you have chriss ?
Old 02 May 2008, 11:10 PM
Scooby555Chris
Scooby Regular

oooh erm erm..

couple a mm say...

it was just by chance i checked it and was surprised...but on inspection off all surfaces all is well...just the fact i can tell someones been messing b4...sealer around block plugs etc..i wondered if there should be a shim or spring loaded washer on the back side of the head..as theres the end plate that controls the float....or so i thought.

no marks on anything at all..head or cam...

other bank with the cam sensor on is nice and firm back n forth float wise but then this cam norm is stiffer and sprung (left/right) on its position i have found..crank/cycle position when timed up etc?

cheers chris
Old 03 May 2008, 08:32 AM
mark28
Scooby Regular

Location: "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...Now that's what gets you."

1.5mm max i would say but anymore and like you say i would think something is missing or worn somehow