Notices

more torque

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2008, 07:08 PM
Tjay
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more torque

hi all i have a classic uk 2.0 turbo which is currently running 342 bhp and 292 lb of torque.
now as much as i like the power outputs the car just doesn't drive the way i would like it to.

the turbo kicks in at about 3k and revs right the way through, but you have to thrash the nuts of it to get the power!

is there anyway of adding more torques to the car without changing the lump or stroker kits? as i've just got me self some forged bits and have got the mula the change what internals i have.

and will this change how the car drives? thanks
Old 29 April 2008, 07:35 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

fit the forged bits, a bigger turbo and get it mapped with more boost in the midrange - sorted or

Sell the forged bits and get yourself a 2.5, the labour involved will be just the same but you will automaticaly get more torque by having the increase in capacity, you will still need a remap though and on the same turbo you will get more torque.
Old 29 April 2008, 07:47 PM
Tjay
Scooby Newbie

i thought someone would say that so what exactly will i need to change if i replace the lump with a 2.5?

o and it running a TD05 turbo would i need to change this too? this is beging to feel like it going to get complicated
Old 30 April 2008, 03:23 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

What boost you running?
Old 30 April 2008, 10:29 PM
Tjay
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BOB'5
What boost you running?
im running 1.6 had it on the rollers about 3weeks ago why??
Old 30 April 2008, 10:42 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Tjay
im running 1.6 had it on the rollers about 3weeks ago why??
At 1.6bar bar I would have thought you'd be getting more torque out of a TD05 (I'm assuming thats what turbo you have fitted). Could be an artifact of the rolling road you were on, which one was it?

I get 343 ft lbs from a VF35 (measured on the delta dash) with just 1.35 bar peak

Also, if that's a genuine 1.6 bar boost on a std WRX engine, it's on the brave side!

Ns04
Old 30 April 2008, 10:59 PM
Tjay
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
At 1.6bar bar I would have thought you'd be getting more torque out of a TD05 (I'm assuming thats what turbo you have fitted). Could be an artifact of the rolling road you were on, which one was it?

I get 343 ft lbs from a VF35 (measured on the delta dash) with just 1.35 bar peak

Also, if that's a genuine 1.6 bar boost on a std WRX engine, it's on the brave side!

Ns04
no its not a standard block its hard a lot of work done all receipts etc. and the garage that did the work remember the car. they also tell me they rebuilt the engine with forged pistons and rods. (their sending me the bill so i can prove it )

i had it rolling roaded at clive atthowe in norwich. yeah it running a td05 but its a uk 2000 turbo not an sti or wrx i take it this makes a difference? (sorry ex BMW driver )

everyone that i've spoken to has told me that the car is sound so im not worried about it popping on me. does 342 bhp and 292 ft of torque sound to you?

the only things it has had done is larger injectors
Old 30 April 2008, 11:15 PM
New_scooby_04

Ah ok then, forged internals would certainly be ok with that level of boost. Still puzzling that you don't have higher torque though (although as previously stated it may be an artifacy of the rolling road).

Who mapped the car?
Old 30 April 2008, 11:30 PM
Tjay
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Ah ok then, forged internals would certainly be ok with that level of boost. Still puzzling that you don't have higher torque though (although as previously stated it may be an artifacy of the rolling road).

Who mapped the car?
that i don't know

i put on the rollers for peace of mind to make sure everything was running right. as i haven't found any history of it being mapped i guessing it hasn't.
which leave me thinkin that there is still lots more power to come out of this car.

the caps at clive atthowe are good and know there stuff, they said it must have some sort of generic chip (not good) but not a complete mapable system.
maybe thats why i have got anymore power out of it?? o it also had a fuel pressure drop at 5k, so i fitted a new fuel pump and pressure regulator.

im guessin i need a new ecu or something but i just don't have the funds at the mo as im movin house!

is there anything you can suggest? o and thanks for your help
Old 01 May 2008, 10:31 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Tjay
that i don't know

i put on the rollers for peace of mind to make sure everything was running right. as i haven't found any history of it being mapped i guessing it hasn't.
which leave me thinkin that there is still lots more power to come out of this car.

the caps at clive atthowe are good and know there stuff, they said it must have some sort of generic chip (not good) but not a complete mapable system.
maybe thats why i have got anymore power out of it?? o it also had a fuel pressure drop at 5k, so i fitted a new fuel pump and pressure regulator.

im guessin i need a new ecu or something but i just don't have the funds at the mo as im movin house!

is there anything you can suggest? o and thanks for your help
The ECU is the important bit mate, all the mods in the world won't make much of a difference if the ECU isn't using optimal ignition, fueling parameters , generally, the more the car is modified the more inadequate a generic map becomes. Certainly might explain why you need 1.6 bar to make those figures and why the power is all at the top end.

You're looking at an aftermarket ECU for a 1994 car, or maybe a daughterboard e.g. ESL to be soldered onto it that enables it to be mapped. The latter would be cheaper. If you're going for an aftermarket ECU, something like Simtek or Apexi Power FC would be ideal. I 'd suggest you speak to someone like Andy F, Bob Rawle, Paul at Zen performance. Regrettably, it won't be cheap though. See here for representative prices.

Ns04
Old 01 May 2008, 01:41 PM
ojr600
Scooby Regular

I know this may seem obvious, but are you still running the top-mount intercooler or have you got a front-mount?
The reason I ask is that when I switched to a proper-sized and positioned front-mount (albeit when I was running a different car, not my Scoob) the torque figure rocketed upwards because the cooler the charge temps, the denser the air, the more fuel gets added, the better bang-for-your-buck! Might be worth looking into if you haven't gone front-mount yet... I know I am hoping to sort one for mine as soon as possible!

OJR.
Old 01 May 2008, 01:48 PM
New_scooby_04

He has got a front mont mate, and yes, I also noticed a significant torque increase when I got one fitted. The cooler charge allows the mapper to dial in more ignition advance.

I'm pretty sure the problem here lies in a generic map that is not optimal for the OPs mods.A trip to one of the many highly respected mappers on here would soon sort that!

Ns04
Old 01 May 2008, 06:50 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

indeedy, another ecu that is mapped for your car will yield much better results imo, simtek vote from me
Old 03 May 2008, 02:07 PM
Tjay
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ojr600
I know this may seem obvious, but are you still running the top-mount intercooler or have you got a front-mount?
The reason I ask is that when I switched to a proper-sized and positioned front-mount (albeit when I was running a different car, not my Scoob) the torque figure rocketed upwards because the cooler the charge temps, the denser the air, the more fuel gets added, the better bang-for-your-buck! Might be worth looking into if you haven't gone front-mount yet... I know I am hoping to sort one for mine as soon as possible!

OJR.
no im running a front mount intercooler mate, and me torque levels still seem low

i think im gonna go and get me self a piggy back ecu for now. any suggestions ???