Notices

F.A.O. Import Owners - Please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2002, 11:38 AM
scoobycitysteve
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi I am about to spend upto £10500 on an Impreza, I am thinking of sourcing one from someone like JapVillage.

The WRX and STI most take my fancy, I wanted to know more about the cars, owning, servicing, Insuring, parts, problems, things to look out for... I have scowered the Internet for info but cant find any.

Basically I want to make sure I dont have any pitfalls.. What are the major benefits on an STI over a UK model ? are the brakes better - as the UK ones are meant to be crap, I know the suspension is stiffer and the engine more powerful, but is that all ?

If someone could email me so I can talk to them on a day to day basis and find out everything I know about the cars that would be excellent.

Thanks Very Much....

Regards
------------------------------------
Steve Pye
Site Owner, Web Designer, Moderator.
www.scoobycity.co.uk
Old 29 January 2002, 01:21 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Steve,

I bought an Import a while back and maybe able to help. Try the SIDC FAQ's first though. UK Turbo's and WRX's are cool but STi's are the nuts.

I would advise to get one that's already had the stuff done to it (unless you think you can afford 5-6k worth of upgrades) 'cos you WILL want to modify it.

Stu.
Old 29 January 2002, 01:37 PM
scoobycitysteve
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Stu, I have already waded through the SIDC FAQ, its good, but somewhat scrambled... one minute it says do not use octane booster in your fuel for example because it buggers the lambda sensor and cat, and then in another statement it talks about engine problems with Optimax rather than 100Ron fuel and says you should use octane booster.

I'm trying to get Opinions from actual STI owners.
Old 29 January 2002, 03:30 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Steve,
I'm not an STi owner but I do own a jap import WRX. If you fancy a chat via email then my email address is markus@markuswarren.co.uk
Old 29 January 2002, 05:04 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

I own a WRX.

E-mail me at s.whitehorn@talk21.com if you want more info.

Cheers
Steve
Old 29 January 2002, 05:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

you have mail,

plus - fuel

Jap imports are meant to run on 100 RON fuel, because that is what you get in japan. I used to run my WRX on 95 RON fuel with no problems, but since I fitted the downpipe I'm using optimax. If it was an STi then I would, without hesitation use at least SUL or Optimax fuel. As for octane booster, hmm, not sure, personally I'd only use it if going on a trackday, and even then I'm not sure.

if you a really worried then you can get a programmable ECU, eg; Link ECU, and get it mapped for Optimax/SUL, thus should prevent problems (I think)
Old 29 January 2002, 05:32 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i own a wrx sti version iv type-r coupe, that i imported myself from japan a couple of years ago, if you need any advice, drop me an email on christian.ruellan@Highlands.ac.uk

Trending Topics

Old 29 January 2002, 05:35 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I've got a 92 WRX. One thing that confuses me is where to get the parts or are they interchangable with say a UK 93,94 model. Can anyone help me out here as I think my clutch or gearbox is going to go bye bye....
Old 29 January 2002, 05:49 PM
mick s
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I own a MY95 WRX.I run it on super unleaded with no problems at all.I do not personally see an increase in performance or running when using octane booster on the road even after several months continually,but sustained high speed usage,track days etc,it may be advantagous.Given that Sti's are in a higher state of tune it may be essential even for road use.I would have no hesitation in buying another import.Email me if you need an help,will try my best to help with anything you need to know.
Old 29 January 2002, 07:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Katana,
you could try chatting to my garage, might be bit far away from you though. Worth a shot. They are GDA Sports Cars, speak to Graham or Nathan, phone number is: 01892 740006.

or you could try Grade A Subaru I've got a few bits from them and they seem rather good. good prices as well
Old 29 January 2002, 07:31 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info. May need a new gearbox though if I'm unlucky.
Old 30 January 2002, 12:20 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Steve,

I am an 'actual' STi owner.

Stu.

Old 30 January 2002, 07:29 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

I own a 94 WRX, great car, but my advice would be to buy UK, mainly for insurance costs. And I don't really think there is much difference in power either, a standard UK can keep with a STI, and with the money saved on insurance get a decent brake/suspension upgrade.

CRAFT
Old 30 January 2002, 11:42 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Steve,

I own an STI - I wouldn't run the engine on anything other than say Optimax + Octane Booster, mail me if you want more info as per my profile m8
Old 30 January 2002, 11:49 AM
scoobycitysteve
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Guys...

In light of what I have learned, I have decided to move away from the daunting world of Imports...

Simply because I will be spending all out on the car and Insurance and will not have a budget for Import Insurance or to sort out any problems or tweaks that need to be made to make the car run as reliably as a UK model..

Steve.