Notices

gems ecu advice

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2008, 09:03 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gems ecu advice

quick question for you mappers out there..... would a GEMS ecu loose its map if the car has been standing in a garage for a year or so?

Reason i ask is that the emmissions on the car is way to high and was wondering wether it is to do with the ecu?

Also if you are running a gems ecu, should the lambda sensor be disconnected or connected?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 25 April 2008, 09:10 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no it won't lose the map

gems lambda control doesn't.

very little chance of passing emissions
Old 25 April 2008, 11:08 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

jolly, thanks for response, but what you mean by gems lambda control doesn't?

any suggestions on how to sort out the emmissions? i was going to purchase a whole exhaust system but wanted to know if there are other options as i really need to get the car back on road.

cheers matey
Old 26 April 2008, 10:31 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

the lambda control doesn't work bvery well and is usually not enabled.

it is a motorsport ecu, if you had the lead, software, and dongle and a wideband it might be possible to fiddle with the fuelling to get it to pass but not really a viable option.

How modified if the car?

Simon
Old 26 April 2008, 09:05 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

thanks simon, the car has the following:-

the engine is a EJ25, running with a td05 16g, 550cc denso injectors with a water injection system and walbro 255lph FP(was running a 280 before it packed up), uprated FPR(running 2.6 bar idle and 4 bar on throttle) K&N induction kit, front mount intercooler, oil cooler, hayward and scott full system from turbo down no cat. There maybe something i missed but thats more or less it tbh.

I can't understand how it has passed the MOT's in the past 5 years ive owned it, and all of a sudden its emmissions are off the scale.

Im going to try chucking some redex in the tank to see if that helps clear out the fuel system and giving it a blat may clear some crap out of it, but how much good thats going to do is beyond me.

The recent things which have been done is, new fuel pump 255lph from GGR, new NGK plugs, oil change using 10w60, and finally new oil cooler hoses.

The MOT tester did tell me that he has not ran the car up to temperature, which also leads me to beileve that may have been the cause of emmissions being that high.

Don't know mate, again simon any help or ideas would be great.

Cheers Jay
Old 27 April 2008, 10:56 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

if it has NO cat then it could never have properly passed the emissions in the past,
we have mapped them extremely lean at MOT test points in the past to simply get a test cert and then re-installed the road map afterwards in the past and normally no issues..............

alyn
Old 27 April 2008, 11:17 AM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

alyn, i know what your saying however everytme an mot was done i had nothing done to the map and the tester tested the emmissions, it has always been .2 -.5 higher but still got a pass.

may have to have a lean map on it this time me thinks, so going to need prices for a mobie mapper to do it lol.

thanks for advice though mate much appreciated.

Trending Topics

Old 27 April 2008, 08:22 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

sounds like you got "special treatment", as a fails a fail regardless of how close...........
Old 28 April 2008, 11:45 AM
chris's .wrx
Scooby Newbie

Default emission's !?!

Originally Posted by stockcar
sounds like you got "special treatment", as a fails a fail regardless of how close...........
mix £5 of petrol with a bit of parafin put it in empty tank/car just before you take in for mot as long as you don't rev nuts off it should be ok for few minutes while emission's check
Old 28 April 2008, 12:09 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Change your MOT station
Old 28 April 2008, 08:16 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

sod it, i think im going to have to put my hand in my pocket.

Spoke to Steve Simpson at TEG who originally mapped the car, and i was told that the car would never pass its MOT with a GEMS and suggested I got one of his SIMTEK ECU's.

Simon(jolly green monster)I'm going to be in touch with you soon mate, as I'm going to need your help soonish mate.

Jay
Old 28 April 2008, 09:50 PM
mark28
Scooby Regular

Location: "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...Now that's what gets you."

get it cheaked as it could be running rich all over the rev range not just at idle.

runnig rich is not as bad as running lean but never the less its not good

mark
Old 28 April 2008, 09:58 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

you have PM Jay..

Simon
Old 29 April 2008, 08:01 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

sorry but sounds a load of tosh, how can an ECU (on its own) allow you to pass an MOT, you need to either map to suit emissions regs as is or fit a CAT and again map to suit..................

certainly cheaper than a new ECU that will have a similiar problem
Old 29 April 2008, 08:41 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

the simtek does use lambda sensor to control the emissions so along with a cat and obviously mapping it should pass emissions, however I have suggested a cheaper solution in my pm
Old 29 April 2008, 09:38 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

thanks for responses, dont want to cause a arguement between you guys.

Simon, nice talkin to you mate, sent you a pm back could you let me know if its possible.
Old 30 April 2008, 08:01 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Simon and myself don't have any issues just trying to clarify (as Simon has rightly said) that a new ECU on its own can't solve thjis issue................

no doubt Simon will ably re-map the car to suit emissions regs as initially suggested and sort from there..............

alyn
Old 30 April 2008, 01:40 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

In the same position, just tried to get a car through the MoT on GEMs, isnt going to happen. Very hard to get a stable idle on stoich as it seems to wander off to uber lean and stall with unit adjustments in the fuelling table. Going to whack ESL Live on it and get some closed loop lambda control back.
Old 01 May 2008, 06:54 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

right been to the garage started her up and boy does it sound like total crap.

everytime you rev the car it just pops and bangs, and gets worse as it warms up, and also if you don't carry on revving it it just cuts out.

I personally think now the car is running lean, looking back through the history and the time of the conversion it seems that it had a 280/300lph fuel pump installed, and now i have dropped in a 255.

Conclusion low fuel pressure therefore needs a map to suit, if i carry on running it as it is i may end up popping a piston or 2 as the fuel keeps the pistons cool so i have been told.

Simon PM'd you for appointment mate.

Jay
Old 02 May 2008, 07:16 AM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by impreza_terzo3_no257
right been to the garage started her up and boy does it sound like total crap.

everytime you rev the car it just pops and bangs, and gets worse as it warms up, and also if you don't carry on revving it it just cuts out.

I personally think now the car is running lean, looking back through the history and the time of the conversion it seems that it had a 280/300lph fuel pump installed, and now i have dropped in a 255.

Conclusion low fuel pressure therefore needs a map to suit, if i carry on running it as it is i may end up popping a piston or 2 as the fuel keeps the pistons cool so i have been told.

Simon PM'd you for appointment mate.

Jay

If its popping and banging, you sure you ain't flicked the anti-lag on?
I really can't see many modded Scoobies that run big bhp actually officially passing a emissions test. When I took my old Type R last time, I did for a laugh ask him to bob it on the machine, but it was well over... lol

The problem with older GEMS units is you can't get the adjustability you can on some newer ECU's... GEMS are a rally based ECU and really when driving one are all or nothing, On/ OFF imo...
This is one of the reasons I got rid of my GEMS unit...
I aint a mapper, but from what I understand from my experiences....

When the laptop is pluged in... you have a graph, whatever on your screen to adjust everything...
Keeping it simple, say your fuel graph went up like so...

Gems ( older unit ) 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100
Modern ECU ( not rally based ) 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30 ... SO ON...

Why your Gems goes lean - rich is due to the above adjustability... If your cruising at 3Krpm, and it feels like its kangarooing, the only thing you can do with the Gems is put your foot down more or let off alittle, because its jumping between ie, 60-70, 70-60...

On the more modern ECU, it can go from 62-64, 64-62... this you wont notice as much... because of its adjustability, you mapper can make the car a much smooth drive...

I'm not saying Gems can't be mapped with good results... but this will be one of a few reasons your struggling with you MOT...

Hope you get it sorted anyway... Good luck
Old 02 May 2008, 08:17 AM
mark28
Scooby Regular

Location: "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...Now that's what gets you."

you can activate the als if the throttle is at 100% at start up or time of cranking even with with the switch set to off. inless you unmark it within the ecu for this fuction.
Old 02 May 2008, 10:44 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

scoobyslammed, Thanks for the info mate, as far as the ALS goes the switch was definately off as i tried all combinations on the 3 switches. When the AL was flicked on the popping and banging got louder but stayed running as soon as i switched it off the revs dropped so low that it kept cutting out.

I have spoken to simon(jollygreen monster)about coming up to check the map out so just need to wait for him to let me know when he can pop up.

Sodding car driving me nuts.

Jay