Notices

intercooler pipe wont stay on!

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2008, 06:34 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intercooler pipe wont stay on!

The pipe where the TMIC would be that goes straight into the engine area - the one that expands hugely on boost simply never stays on for more than a few minutes of hard driving

Doesnt matter what position I put the Jubilee clip in or how slack/tight it goes on, on full boost it simply pulls off

Its a bloody pain

Apart from buying a new FMIC with hard piping how do people sort this problem - can it be made super sticky on the edges, is it a jubilee clip problem and I need better ones - should I be wrapping the piping like some people do above the Turbo - seems to reduce the expansion which is what ultimately makes the piping pull off........... My kit is the APS one that quite a lot of people have on their cars

How may people out there have had this problem - must be a lot I expect
Old 23 April 2008, 06:38 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fangoria
The pipe where the TMIC would be that goes straight into the engine area - the one that expands hugely on boost simply never stays on for more than a few minutes of hard driving

Doesnt matter what position I put the Jubilee clip in or how slack/tight it goes on, on full boost it simply pulls off

Its a bloody pain

Apart from buying a new FMIC with hard piping how do people sort this problem - can it be made super sticky on the edges, is it a jubilee clip problem and I need better ones - should I be wrapping the piping like some people do above the Turbo - seems to reduce the expansion which is what ultimately makes the piping pull off........... My kit is the APS one that quite a lot of people have on their cars

How may people out there have had this problem - must be a lot I expect
assuming the pipe is not damaged try giving it a good clean with brake cleaner to remove any oil etc,then spray the inside of the hose with hair spray and refit with a decent quality clamp (mikalor?) if you do not have them already and see how that goes.
Old 23 April 2008, 06:47 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Hmm - is there anything else besides hairspray - feel rather embarrassed going into a shop to buy that and the wife doesnt use the stuff :-)

Clamps - I'll look to order some tomorrow
Old 24 April 2008, 08:18 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fangoria
Hmm - is there anything else besides hairspray - feel rather embarrassed going into a shop to buy that and the wife doesnt use the stuff :-)

Clamps - I'll look to order some tomorrow
Get some new jubilee clips.. 50p each or so from a plumbing shop. take off the ic and clean all the pipework with brake cleaner. Clean the outside of the turbo outlet with brake cleaner as well. If you realy want to you can out a ab of silicone sealent arounf the turbo outlet before refitting hte pipe but I wouldn't bother.

While the IC is off check the dump valve is operating properly as if this is stuck closed when you lift off you will be putting more pressure on the pipework..

Cheers
Old 24 April 2008, 04:22 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

hairspray really is the best solution, just get your mrs to buy you a small can.

The pantene range is good in the pink cannister