Notices

help with air lock in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2008, 11:34 PM
kookamunga
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with air lock in coolant

having just rebuilt my engine i seem to be having a wee problem with the coolant system first the thermostat was stuck shut (my bad should maybe changed on the rebuild) so a wee trip to the subaru parts dept sorted me out but now i just can't seem to get the coolant bled. i have tried every trick i know but to no avail. anyone got any good methods to try
Old 18 April 2008, 10:30 AM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

I changed the coolant in my classic turbo last year, the hardest bit was making sure all the old stuff was removed.

I read the instructions from the Subaru service manual, goes something like:
Fill up the system from the top tank slowly with pre-mixed coolant/water. As the new coolant drains through, keep topping up until no more can be added. This took a while on mine, 1/2hr or more. Put some in the overflow tank (plastic one on the RHS looking into the engine bay), but keep it well below the fill mark.
Once you think you have filled the system (about 5 litres, from memory), replace the pressure cap and run the engine for about 10 mins at no more than 2000rpm. One good indication that the system is full is that the heater will blow hot air! Allow to cool (IMPORTANT!) and top up if necessary. After this, you can top up the overflow tank to the level marker- I can't remember whether this should be done hot or cold, though.

Hope this helps
Slim
Old 18 April 2008, 08:35 PM
MY,k436suy
Scooby Regular

Filling through the rad top hose helps as well, i take the hose off from the rad and with a pre mix fill using the hose, also generally run it with the header tank cap off whilst getting her up to temp(not driving i should add!), so you can see whats passing through. (bubbles etc.)