Strange water leak

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2008, 05:44 PM
W1ndowLicker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Strange water leak

Hi,

Ive just purchased my first scoob after trying out many other jap sports cars and I settled on a MY97 Type R.

Car is solid and it was all cool until after a couple of days Ive noticed a water leak originating from around the offside front of the engine bay.

Its definately coolant and not from the IC spray bottle but I cant work out exactly where its coming from. Running the car on a fast idle I can see the hose feeding the top of the rad expanding but no leaks evident from any pin holes or splits ??, nor any obvious leaks from anywhere in that area !

It only seems to happen when the car is actually driving and under load.

Often when I stop there is steam coming out of the grill which is obviously worrying and it makes the car look crap !!

It wasnt loosing much water but it is definately getting worse as the header tank (which is a metal one) was full last night and this morning was less than half full !!

water ends up all over the plastic air intake feeder, the underside of the bonnet, along the top of the IC rad, the metal all aorund under the IC spray bottle etc, basically all around that area !, but nothing obvious !

Any ideas ?!?!?!
Old 22 March 2008, 05:46 PM
W1ndowLicker
Scooby Regular

Also , Ive tried running some rad sealant throught the system but that didnt help at all !
Old 22 March 2008, 08:11 PM
White ST
Scooby Regular

try the bottom rad hose i had this last week turnd out to b the jubilee wudnt clamp down enuf or try the hose at the bk of the engine
Old 22 March 2008, 08:20 PM
matt75racing
Scooby Regular

HI
I had exactly the same problem turned out to be a small split in the rad hose right under the edge of the clip so only leaked when under load hope this helps
Regards Matt
Old 22 March 2008, 08:26 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

probably a thin crack in the plastic end tanks on rad,quite a common problem and only happens when under load.

after a spirited drive pop the bonnet and have a look for any signs of leaks on rad tanks steam/water marks etc.