Notices

GOOSED TURBO???!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2008, 06:43 PM
buffalo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOOSED TURBO???!!!!

Cars been driving like a bag of bolts recently. jus back from the garage after getting the plugs uprated as i thot this was the the problem. on the way there it felt like it was in limp mode and the turbo wouldnt kick in. on the way back it felt slightly more responsive but struggled to rise through the revs and dnt think it breached 60 mph????

Garage plugged it in and said the fault code was for EGT sensor, this his been coming on and off for a while now and jus thot it was due to the map.

Now its obvious the turbo isnt working but i expected a big bang or horrible smoke or some outward sign to say it was knackered???

when i got home i lifted the bonnet and gave it a rev to see if i could hear or see anything. It revved quite freely but there was no induction noise or dump from the dump valve??

So anyone any ideas before i shell out for a new turbo??

the cars a newage WRX 03"
Old 17 March 2008, 06:58 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

if you got a code from the egt sensor then i think you should change that first, if i remember rightly, when the car goes into limp mode it stops the engine revving properly therefor preventing you from making any boost. Try resetting the ecu and see what happens, it will most likely be ok until the sensor throws a code again.
I think you should do the sensor first, if its giving you a code then thats likely to be the issue.
By all means though, check the turbo, see if it spins freely, check for play in the shaft and go from there, i wuold guess the turbo is fine, but the ecu is preventing you from doing any damage by limiting what it can do.
Old 17 March 2008, 08:21 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by buffalo
Cars been driving like a bag of bolts recently. jus back from the garage after getting the plugs uprated as i thot this was the the problem. on the way there it felt like it was in limp mode and the turbo wouldnt kick in. on the way back it felt slightly more responsive but struggled to rise through the revs and dnt think it breached 60 mph????

Garage plugged it in and said the fault code was for EGT sensor, this his been coming on and off for a while now and jus thot it was due to the map.

Now its obvious the turbo isnt working but i expected a big bang or horrible smoke or some outward sign to say it was knackered???

when i got home i lifted the bonnet and gave it a rev to see if i could hear or see anything. It revved quite freely but there was no induction noise or dump from the dump valve??

So anyone any ideas before i shell out for a new turbo??

the cars a newage WRX 03"
instead of changing egt sensor just fit a 2.2kohm resistor to the wiring harness plug by o/s suspension turrett,it will fool the ecu in to thinking temp is ok.
when my egt was knackered it did not go in to limp mode though.

also when revving under bonnet with no load you will not get any dump valve noise as there is virtually no boost.

have a check of pipes to make sure all are fitted and not split,check the wastegate actuator is connected securely to the wastegate still.

one way you could test the turbo is remove the vac pipe from compressor housing and block the nipple off give it a run up road and see if it boosts (dont give it loads though as ecu will have no way of controlling boost)
that way you can either rule the turbo out or confirm it is fecked,but make sure you put it back to spec after trying or you risk knackering the engine if you like driving hard.
Old 17 March 2008, 08:42 PM
mikey2
Scooby Regular

Just to elaborate on the previous post, if you block the wastegate pipe you will make loads of boost rediculously fast, and if you are not careful you WILL destroy the turbo, all you need to do is give the throttle a little when moving, that will be enough to get positive boost going, having tried this method, i can assure you, it makes 2-3 bar in the time it usually takes to get to positive pressure, let alone anything useful.
I still think your turbo is fine, sort out the sensor first and go from there, keep us updated here.
Old 18 March 2008, 12:47 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is also the possibility that the EGT sensor is working OK and picking up that the up-pipe cat has collapsed. This will either be breaking up and entering the turbo or causing a large obstruction, which will give your symptoms.
Try the resistor trick, but if the car still holds back then I'd start thinking about a new up-pipe befire a turbo change.

Nick
Old 18 March 2008, 04:23 PM
buffalo
Scooby Regular

seems to be a whirring/buzzing noise coming from this area???