Notices

fitting de-cat on a classic...easy?

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2008, 03:44 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fitting de-cat on a classic...easy?

prob about a million threads on this so apologies, i just got a hks decat downpipe and wondered how hard it could be to fit? could i do it as all i think i have to do is take off the turbo cold air feed thingy then just un-bolt the de cat at the top then under the car and unbolt it n remove the sensor?
Also wondering if i will get any bad affects from fitting it to the car? i have a blitz nur spec backbox and the standard center pipe, can i get away without having a remap?
Old 14 March 2008, 04:17 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if everything comes off as it should then probably about an hours work. If you have the tmic then this will need to come off for access. some of the bolts are in awkward places, best bet is to use a penetrating fluid a few days before, then finally some the night before and this should hlpe the nuts to come off a bit easier. If you have small hands then all the better

No real need for a remap imo (others will say you need one I from my experience disagree), you may though get occasional boost spikes particulary in colder weather. Off course a remap will allow you full benefit from it.

To add, you may need a bung for the downpipe as sometimes they have 2 lambada bosses there, so before you start make sure you can cover everything!! Turbo heat shield can be a bit sharp as well, and if you refit it, you may need to cut it as decat downpipes tend to be a slightly larger diameter than standard.

Good luck and it is a worthwhile mod imo
Old 14 March 2008, 09:01 PM
oli_w
Scooby Regular

thanks a lot for that mate will wd40 be ok to use? just wanna make sure coz knowing my luck things could go a bit wrong.
i have seen a few threads about needing remap etc which were really mixed opinion, but i plan on fitting decat center pipe, pulleys n other items before that, seems a bit crazy to get one now then add more mods and have to do it again, unless i win the lottery!
thanks again
Old 14 March 2008, 09:48 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Remove intercooler and spray the 5 bolts with WD40, especially the two bottom ones. Think they're 14 or 15mm.
You should be fine if you arm yourself with as many different sized extension bars as you can find, a 3/8 universal joint and a 3/8 swivel head ratchet.
Top three can be loosened with a spanner.
No need for a remap after fitting, its the other way around, you need a stainless system before you can remap.
It will run fine but as you say, if your going to add more modifications, you'd be wasting money remapping it now just to remap it later again.
You should still see some performance gains as the standard downpipe is very restrictive as you'll see when you compare the two when off the car.