Notices

Got a TMIC and boost gauge? Been on the strip?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2008, 03:25 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Got a TMIC and boost gauge? Been on the strip?

Well if you have, or like myself have defi's so you can rewatch what happened, have you noticed what the boost does? It's so much lower than if the car had been moving for a while before.
I watched back my own adventures on the strip (13.2 @ 102 - MY04 WRX with decat, ported headers and light flywheel - NO REMAP YET) and boost was really struggling to get above 0.7 bar, where on the road when the car has had loads of air to it it will hit 1bar all day long.
Is this all down to the heat that goes through the top mount whilst waiting to go on the strip? My TMIC was very hot, and I have fans pulling air through it which make a big temperature difference too, but still was very hot.

I know it's very rare that on the road you're stood still for so long and then decide to floor it for 15seconds so I'm not fussed if this will only happen at the Pod etc, but is it really down to the TMIC being hot, or is it heatsoak throughout the whole engine in general?

Thoughts on a postcard
Old 09 March 2008, 04:31 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is because the boost tails off at higher rpm and is made worse because you are changing up at high rpm and the engine consumes all the air the turbo produces and there is no chance for the turbo to boost fully.

if you monitor first you are then unlikely to get higher boost than that.. yet 4th from 3000rpm will see full boost.

the tmic actually helps as less volume to fill

Simon