Notices

hmmmm air leak somewhere...

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2008, 11:46 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmmmm air leak somewhere...

i think i have a leak somewhere under load.

basically, me and my mrs were driving to a car meet earlier tonight. car was warmed up, and i gave it some beans on the motorway. nothing ott.

anyway changing from 4th to 5th, apart from the bov noise tssssh sound, it seems there was a longer than usual air release sound.

il admit it has a bailey bump valve on it, which has never caused me any issues before. under load its done it a couple of more times tonight in 2nd and 3rd gear when accelerating hard. again nothing ott, a little squirt as it were.

my first assumtion was it may be a loose pipe somewhere, then secondly i thought the dump valve spring may be buggered, leaving it open and forcing out air while accelerating, leaving a gap in power.

does this make sense to anyone? i know some may shoot me for having a dump valve, but this is the first time in around 12 months of having it, this has happened.

could it be this or something else? i havent cheaked it out yet as its obviously pitch black outisde.

could someone offer me any advice or checks to carry out? or offer anything else it could be. definatley sounds like an air leak.

andy
Old 29 February 2008, 12:29 AM
stoneface
Scooby Regular

The dump valve on my old 200sx started to stick open so worth an inspection/cleanup and check all intake and boost pipes for leaks.
Old 29 February 2008, 07:53 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stoneface
The dump valve on my old 200sx started to stick open so worth an inspection/cleanup and check all intake and boost pipes for leaks.
thanks for the advice.

well what i did this morning after dropping the mrs off was pop to tescos and get some wd-40 to spray couple bits down with. i gave her some beans on a couple of fast roads on the outskirts of scunny and to be honest i did notice or hear it happen.

anywho when i got home i was straight under the bonnet. ive inspected as much as i know (which isnt a lot...) and took the dump valve off. ive given it a thorough clean with wd-40 and made sure the spring was ok etc.

also cleaned out the idle control valve for good measure.

hmm, im not sure what else to check, as above im not too sure what pipes are which under there, and dont want to potentially cause more harm than good.
Old 29 February 2008, 09:28 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

I have had two leaks on mine since I bought it. The first was a big one and resulted in lotsa black smoke, the hose between the intercooler and turbo had split and all my boost was escapin so over fueling like a bar stuard...

Second one was the vacume pip had come off the top of my dump valve so again boost was leaking, but not so much, just a little lsower than normal and a little bit of noise. It was the performance going down that alerted me to it, and then i turned the steroe down and heard the hissing lol!
Old 29 February 2008, 10:49 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by satancom
I have had two leaks on mine since I bought it. The first was a big one and resulted in lotsa black smoke, the hose between the intercooler and turbo had split and all my boost was escapin so over fueling like a bar stuard...

Second one was the vacume pip had come off the top of my dump valve so again boost was leaking, but not so much, just a little lsower than normal and a little bit of noise. It was the performance going down that alerted me to it, and then i turned the steroe down and heard the hissing lol!
aye, sounds like that to me, a hissing noise when your about to plant your foot and a loss of power. thats what alerted me to the fact is must be an air leak somewhere...
Old 29 February 2008, 11:17 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Take a nose round the back of the car at the exhaust, its probably going to be quite black !
Old 29 February 2008, 11:27 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by satancom
Take a nose round the back of the car at the exhaust, its probably going to be quite black !
eh youve lost me mate

exhaust is already black inside from carbon etc.

Trending Topics

Old 29 February 2008, 01:39 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Heh when mine went first it was pouring black smoke out the back an ocvered the back end with black rubbish!

But that was a BIG leak