Notices

Rear diff knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2002, 02:36 PM
nadger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry if this is a known problem I have looked through every FAQ and pages of Scoobynet for any mention of this problem but with no luck. I have a Uk MY99 that I have had for nearly 2 months. I have 2 queries:

1. When changing gear at high revs I hear cluck (thud type sound) from what I think is the rear diff just after engaging the next gear. I know my clutch work could be better but is this normal or do I have a problem with the clutch or rear diff?

2. When depressing the clutch when revs are over 3.2K there sounds like there is a quite scraping sound coming from the just below the pedal. Nothing is rubbing against the pedal in the car is this normal again ?

Look forward to reading your replys.

Thanks

Nick
Old 23 January 2002, 02:41 PM
miller
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

sounds to me like it could be your clutch release bearing which is worn.
Old 24 January 2002, 10:12 AM
nadger
Scooby Regular

Wink

Would this relate to both problems or just one, is the serious and do i need to get it fixed ASAP

Thanks for your help

Nick
Old 24 January 2002, 10:47 AM
BEL
Scooby Regular

Smile

The thud sound you are getting when changing up at high revs seems to be quite normal. I'm sure there's been a few posts about it under drivetrain. I used to get it a lot when I first got the car, I think it is caused by the rear diff engaging suddenly. I'm not a mechanically minded person but I don't think it can be doing the car any good. I don't get it as much now possibly due to altering my clutch use to prevent it...Either that or my driving must have calmed down a bit.

By the way I don't think this has anything to do with the clutch problem you're experiencing

Ian
Old 24 January 2002, 11:01 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
I sometimes get the clunking sound as Bel said when changing up at high revs, usually from 1st to 2nd, not really anywhere else, could be that you may need to change your driving style......as you are still in the honeymoon period with the car
Old 27 January 2002, 11:55 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just a thought, but could it be the exhaust sitting in perished mountings. Might be worth a check

I had an ill fitting exhaust once that used to clonk a little against the diff, obviously, under hard acceleration, the clonking became alot more noticable, just check out your passengers head when you change from 1st to 2nd when you are going for it, it'll give you some idea of the forces going through the car.

Hope it helps, probably not

Mikey
Old 28 January 2002, 11:44 PM
piravlos
Scooby Regular

I get the same sound as well particularly when shifting from 4th down to 3rd gear. Probably something may be wrong with the differential, or there could be contact between the exhaust pipe and the diff. You got me a bit worried now m8, I better check out.