check engine code 31 throttle positoin senser

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2008, 08:22 PM
matty g
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine code 31 throttle positoin senser

hi there hope some boby can help.
I recently bought a 95 wagon with the engine blown.driven to total destruction,locked solid. all this i was aware of and price was right.

after fitting recon engine check engine light came on instantly as throttle position sensor. if you rev the car it goes out and if driven will go out. but as soon as you ease your foot off its back on.

so far i have changed: 3 throttle postion sensors
3 air control idle valves
complete inlet housing with all bits already on.
e c u
boost solanoids and assoc. pressure sensor.
e c m on back of boost solanoids
power steering pump.
air flow meter.

I have also found out after buying it used to be auto and was converted to manual. sa model.

it is a shame because it is a very clean, straight car. drives absolutly beatiful as a new car really but just so annoying.
was a cheap car on buying but really starting to wish i had never seen it now

I have now also fetched a complete wiring loom for it but that seems a scary job.

ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW ANYTHING I MAY HAVE OVERLOOKED,

BEFORE I GO DOWN THIS ROUTE.

obviosly i have checked for split pipes, bad connections and double checked everything you can possibly think of.

PLEASE HELP
Old 17 February 2008, 10:59 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you tried adjusting tps?

Simon
Old 17 February 2008, 12:00 PM
matty g
Scooby Newbie

yes that was the first step, on the first inlet then all of the tps and the air/control idle. after 3 of each. fitted new inlet to be sure it was not something as i had disturbed. it seems elec. as once you clear codes if you just turn ignition on and dont start then off and re read its there instant.

i suppose what im thinking now is because of the talk back side of the ecu. is there anything from the original auto transmission plug that would be sending a signal ie rev increase when going into drive or to drop them in park and neutral, as this is now not connected. or am i totally on the wrong track.
Old 17 February 2008, 08:33 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

you undid the screws and tried different voltage at throttle closed?
Old 17 February 2008, 10:53 PM
matty g
Scooby Newbie

hi simon yes if you take the screws completely and turn clockwise, you can get it to clear but the screw hole falls under the edge of bracket. did cut the slots out on one tps to try it and ticks over and revs up but ****** about under load as if too much timing advance. have been in trade all my life on the mechanical side not a problem, but cant get my head round this one!

do you know to any sights that would have any good wiring diagrams for subs, as i really think this is some thing so silly that im just overlooking,
everyone i have spoke to has never come across it.
the rest of the conversion all seems proper, you know the right bolts in the right places, not rounded off etc. wires clipped where they should be.
if i could be sure that a manual loom change will do it. fine i will get on and do it but i just dont want that light on after. (got enough garden orniments as it is)
Old 17 February 2008, 11:04 PM
matty g
Scooby Newbie

forgot to mention checked open and closed resistances and 5 volts across pins 2 and 3 on tps while running every thing there checks out, was checking for broken wire or bad connection, but all resistances and voltages check out.
this is why i keep coming back to this wiring.
like the power steering pump with the pressure valve sensor connects back to the signal for tps on tick over hence changing the p/steering pump.

total mystery.

have spoke to previous owner. he said it wasnt on prior to engine going, but did seem to want to get off the phone pretty quickly so i dont know for sure
Old 18 February 2008, 08:57 PM
matty g
Scooby Newbie

can any one else suggest any web sites with good subaru wiring diagrams
so i can at least trace what all the wires at the transmission plug are for.
might be able to solve from this.
Old 19 February 2008, 12:26 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

thinking out loud.. have you fitted a phase 1 tps? not a phase 1.5 manifold and throttle body and tps?
Old 19 February 2008, 07:51 PM
matty g
Scooby Newbie

yes the inlet was off 95 wrx the same. the first one was original off what came with the car. do you know if ther are any alterations required to loom when converting from auto to manual because i would like to put that side of it to bed at least.

wife reported light on constant today. re read codes and now code 44 waste gate solanoid. cant hear it clicking now and wont clear. did try adj. tps to see if waste gate sol. would tick but nothing.