Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2008, 09:40 PM
PH1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK vs Jap import differences?

Hello all,

Newbie here, so go gently.

Since Subaru have changed the shape of the Impreza to a hatchback, I'm in the market for one. (Need the boot space).

Now I have a few questions - I apologise in advance if these have been answered elsewhere.

1) What are the engine differences betwenn the 2.5 L UK unit and the 2.0 L Jap engine?? Is any one more reliable than the other? I havent had the chance to drive either yet, but could someone tell me how differently they drive??

2) How does the 5 speed gearbox on the WRX compare to the 6 speed box that is available on the STI?? Are the gears just shorter or is there a higher final drive on the 6 speed? What Im trying to work out is whether one is going to be better on the motorway that the other. Will the 5 speed be revving the nuts off the engine at 80mph??

3) Whats the best value deal available on the WRX at the moment? (As much as I would love to go for the STI I think that will be out of my price range) My local dealer is charging £20,000 for a WRX. Does that sound reasonable?. What would be a good target price? For both UK and import?? Who is the best person to approach to get an import??

Thanks very much for your help, and I look forward to joining your community
Old 06 February 2008, 11:32 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

The new impreza is not selling well at all, so I would use that to your advantage and try and get some knocked off the list price. £20,000 sounds right for the WRX from a dealers.
Try Litchfield Imports they usually sell new cars cheaper than most.
Old 07 February 2008, 12:18 AM
PH1
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for that. If they are not selling well, that explains why the dealer is stuck to me like sh*t to a blanket . . . maybe I can get a deal out of this.

As for Litchfield, their prices are exactly the same as UK dealer prices, which is confusing. I always thought imports were (quite) a bit cheaper??

Cheers